Drucey

Help with headlight relays location? 1.8 16v (kr) g reg

Hi people, does anybody know which relay is the one which controls the headlights? For some reason I have side lights but no headlights or main beam. Although the blue light still comes on when pushed. Just no light, possibly the relay? Headlight switch is brand new and have tried a spare just to make sure it's not that. Gonna try changing the relay for what they cost. Does anybody know what one it is? Thanks :)

Hi, yes it does. I did lots of research on one and got a good one. It's been no bother before. Was thinking its a relay or something? Could this be possible? Thanks m8.

Usually the relays on the headlight loom get rusty so might be worth taking them off the loom spraying some electrical contact cleaner and pushing back in.

Ok thanks I'll have a look at this. Did you know the relay for inside the car? Might change this also if they are cheap :-) thanks m8.

Hi, yes it does. I did lots of research on one and got a good one. It's been no bother before. Was thinking its a relay or something? Could this be possible? Thanks m8.

Hi Druvey

It will most certainly be one of the relays on the uprated loom. what you describe is a classic uprated loom relay failure issue

does yours have 2 or 3 relays?

either way - drive to a motor factors in the day time, remove a relay & ask them to match it.

replace all if necessary & keep one in the glove box just in case it happens when out & about next time

Hi, mine has 2 on it. The 2 fuses are fine. Everybody is saying it's the loom so I'm going to try the relays on it. Hopefully that all it is :) a massive pain as its dark by 4 now... Lol really appreciate everyone helping with advice. Thank you.

Hi, mine has 2 on it. The 2 fuses are fine. Everybody is saying it's the loom so I'm going to try the relays on it. Hopefully that all it is :) a massive pain as its dark by 4 now... Lol really appreciate everyone helping with advice. Thank you.

ok if it has 2 relays then normally you would find one relay will control the dipped beam & one for main beam (both sides in each instance). it sounds like it could be a ryan automotive loom. I have a KUR2Y made loom on both my rado's as they have 3 relays, one for each side of dipped beam & then one for both sides main beam - thus if one fails it doesn't leave you without lights

did you install it yourself & if so did you disconnect the dim-dip resistor? the yellow connector by the passenger headlight behind the battery

if not then try that first as I have a lingering memory of someone saying that has to be disconnected (2 ends pulled apart & taped up) to allow sidelights to function along with dipped & main beams

thus if not disconnected it kind of makes sense you could only get sidelights & not the other 2 beams

you could also try giving the current relays a tap with a very light hammer or similar as it is heard of for a relay to get 'stuck'

Yes mine is a rayne loom, it's been fine for over a year, car has been off the road for a few months while I worked on it. I did disconnect the resistor. The lights all came on at ones with that connected up. It worked fine, must be the relays has jammed or problems relating to them. I'll have a play when I can next. Hopefully it's as easy as changing them :-) never normally is tho haha. Thanks m8.

Yes mine is a rayne loom, it's been fine for over a year, car has been off the road for a few months while I worked on it. I did disconnect the resistor. The lights all came on at ones with that connected up. It worked fine, must be the relays has jammed or problems relating to them. I'll have a play when I can next. Hopefully it's as easy as changing them :-) never normally is tho haha. Thanks m8.

thought it might be.

i am almost certain it will be a relay issue - good luck

Edited by g0ldf1ng3r