pj027235

cold start valve trrouble

The cold start valve on my 2.0l 16v has suddenly stopped working. Has anyone managed to repair one of these or got a spare one lying around?

Phil.

You sure it's the valve? I thought mine wasn't working as sometimes she needed foot to board cranking to fire up....when I checked, it was working.

Well...I unbolted it from the manifold, reconnected the fuel line and electrical plug, pointed it into a large jam-jar and turned on the ignition. The fuel pump 'primes' but nothing from the valve? It will start like yours....foot right down and 10 seconds of cranking, but before now this wasn't necessary and it used to start immediately...

Do you have power to the connector? Seems strange how one day it was fine then the next it wouldn't start at all. Usually they just gum up and get progressively worse rather than just fine one minute dead the next.

Yes got power to the connector, and the resistance across the valve pins is around 10 ohms, so no open circuit there. I am going to give it a soak in carb cleaner tomorrow and will update....

Problem found. It's a power supply issue, only getting 11.7v to the valve, battery voltage 12.25. When connected straight across the battery it works fine.

Sure I've got one for a 2.8i Capri in garage and think they might be the same.

On a couple of 2.8i Colgones by way, hooked that up not just as a cold start valve but as a sort of 7th injector at full or nearly full throttle, worked a treat, not sure if possible on a Corrado, simple electrics on a Capri, and nicely placed to spray evenly across intake chamber, but maybe someone might, I've never looked at a 2.0 close up but suspect layout is similar.

I spoke too soon! Yes there was a badly crimped wire which simply pulled apart, but the cold start feed still not getting full battery voltage....more head scratching.

The 2.0l 16v 9a has a full throttle enrichment switch which comes in at around 90% throttle, so no real need for 'any more'

Phil

Edited by pj027235

I spoke too soon! Yes there was a badly crimped wire which simply pulled apart, but the cold start feed still not getting full battery voltage....more head scratching.

The 2.0l 16v 9a has a full throttle enrichment switch which comes in at around 90% throttle, so no real need for 'any more'

Phil

They probably stole that idea looking at one of my old Capri's I could probs sue.

Tell ya what might make a diff. slightly off subject, prob. got a 3.0 bar fuel regulator in it, only the VR6's, turbo'd Audi 1.8's and few performance big engined Audi's use the 4.0 bar, sold a couple of 4.0 bars to Golf lads as had few spare, straight swap, and they were singing praises of improvement, prob. more of an improvement if got intake kit, decatted etc., which think they did, but they were well impressed.