jekel

Dashpot/Throttle Damper set up procedure?

As title really, just ordered a new one, old one past it's best, there's a thread seen on here about the Bentley set up procedure but then didn't say what it is. Anyone know?

It's just had a new engine, original dashpot, and it's prob. been adjusted up anyway to compensate for reduced damping over years so just adjusting where old one was would'nt do it.

Cheers

Probably easier with VCDS as the closed throttle position needs to be 14 degrees or less, or the ISV won't kick in. Otherwise, just keep screwing it up until the dashpot holds the throttle open, then wind it down a few turns until it doesn't, if that makes sense! In other words, the sooner the dashpot catches the throttle, the more damping time it has to lower it down gently. I've seen some dashpots 'tuned' so that it literally only catches the throttle just as it's about to slam shut, which isn't ideal.

Probably easier with VCDS as the closed throttle position needs to be 14 degrees or less, or the ISV won't kick in. Otherwise, just keep screwing it up until the dashpot holds the throttle open, then wind it down a few turns until it doesn't, if that makes sense! In other words, the sooner the dashpot catches the throttle, the more damping time it has to lower it down gently. I've seen some dashpots 'tuned' so that it literally only catches the throttle just as it's about to slam shut, which isn't ideal.

VCDS? That's Vagcom? My local mechanic had but his garage got broken into just before Christmas and all that stuff stolen, not yet replaced, so out for mo.

Basically wind it in until Dashpot is damping it but not holding the tickover yeah? i.e. as sson as wind dashpot up at idle and revs. increasing that's too far, so dashpot fully closed and throttle stop basically hitting at same time, that seems logical?

''so dashpot fully closed and throttle stop basically hitting at same time, that seems logical?'' That's about it. I would wind the dashpot in another half turn to make sure the throttle stop gets the butterfly.