G60rob

Anti roll bar links

When replacing a ball joint recently my mechanic noticed the anti roll bar links were worn.

I got a pair of Lemforder links from ECP, but when he came to fit them he found the bolt size was different from the ones on the car.

ECP say that the Lemforder part number 650440555 cross-references to the VW part number 191 411 315A which the local dealer confirms is correct.

The ARB links were last replaced in 2007, but I don't have a record of what parts were used.

Is it possible that the wrong items were fitted back then, perhaps Golf or Passat parts maybe? The mechanic says the new Lemforder bolts are thinner-I think he said 13mm nut size, compared to 17mm on the fitted ones.

If this is the case the wishbones must have been drilled out in 2007 to fit the wrong parts, so I'll have to replace the wishbones as well. Not too big a disaster I suppose, as they need new bushes anyway.

'92 G60 xxxxxx50zNK010xxx

There should be a 13mm bolt and nut that secure it to the wishbone. The threaded part screws into the arb itself. That one is 17mm

Edited by seanl82

The VR6 is different in having two threaded ends.

The G60 ARB link only has one one bolt, which fits in the wishbone. The ARB fits through a rubber bush in an eye.

Apparently, G60s have a 17 mm thread. Mk 2 Golf ARB links look the same but have a 13mm thread. But as far as I can tell, VW Heritage and ECP seem to think they're the same and only supply the 13mm size.

Genuine VW parts are available at more than twice the price of Lemforder (or four times Meyle), but I may have no choice.