Sign in to follow this  
dubster82

Tyres

Didnt know where to post this but here it goes,

Im lookin for new tyres, probably 215/40 17's (theyre already on) and wondering about prices and whom to go for?

shortlist (http://www.mytyres.net)

215/40

Fulda carat exrtemo - £82

Dunlop SP Sport 8000 - £95

205/40

Yokohama A539 £93

Uniroyal Rainsport 1 - £81

Pirelli PZero Nero - £95

Dunlop SP Sport 9090 - £87

Any opinions on which is best/worst are appreciated alsoon prices. Prices are delived to my door with VAT inc.

Cheers

i`ve got the fuldas in a 195-50/15 and think they are a great tyre for the money, they never squeal even when you spin them up, grip like hell but the side walls look a bit rounded and there are no rim protectors on them.

Will stick it in general for now - not particularly tuning or a mod......tough one to call though.

Will stick it in general for now - not particularly tuning or a mod......tough one to call though.

Well actually, I WOULD call say, the 205/40 Pirelli P Zero a performance mod over say a 175/70 'debeca' (or whatever).

Tyres afect grip and driveability, whilst the expensive ones are high price. A Good set of tyres could radically alter your driving styles and point to point times over a given journey. I reckon if you said to one of the big brand tyre manufacturers any different, they might tell you otherwise!!!!

i actually also cant remember 205/40 17's being standard fit on a factory C..... :scratch:

Could be wrong but i doubt it!

And oh yeah, for me this aint a general matter, cause i kinda need these in a week... So not just idle chat, quite important to me and id like as many people to see it as possible thanks.

If you insist on moving it, why dont you move it to servicing, at least then its relevant!

Don't quite care for your tone too much in either this one or the last thread that you criticised me in, Brian.

We are, at the end of the day, here to try and keep the boards as tidy and as user-friendly as possible.

Quote from the 'General' forum description for you.

"Insurance, wheels, non-techy questions, other VWs... this is the place!"

If you insist on moving it, why dont you move it to servicing, at least then its relevant!

Your command is my wish. :salute:

Sorry for the tone, And i apologise if i have critcised you over another matter cause i really cant remember what that would of been :shock: :?

And i apologise for this but,

Tyres afect grip and driveability, whilst the expensive ones are high price. A Good set of tyres could radically alter your driving styles and point to point times over a given journey.

I do class tyres as a "Techy issue", Wheels, depends. Usually with wheels, its an looks thing so i agree with general for something like that, but with what you just quoted, i dont agre that tyres fall into the listed catagories. Wheels and tyres are different things in some ways, Try to understand where im coming from.

Thankyou for moving this thread again for me. Much appreciated.

dubster82 - please remember the Mods just try to keep posts that are relevant to each other so that in the future, new users browsing still find your post in a relevant section.

Yes, some things are grey-areas, and this is one, as you pointed out - but there's no need to get shirty with Tom for doing his job.

When a post is moved to a different section, the URL to that post remains the same - so any notification emails still point to the post, searching for new posts will still show it. Moving a post doesn't make it any harder to find - just more relevant and tidyier as the board fills up with pages and pages of posts.

As for tyres..

You pretty much get what you pay for. Do you want to stick with 215s, or are you not that bothered? Toyo's in the 205s seem a great deal, as pointed out by Pau1 - can't really go wrong with them and always considered a damn good tyre - yeah, not the best of the best, but depends if you want to spend £120 more all round? Corrado's chew fronts up quite nicely, so 10k down the line you might be changing fronts anyway.

Right , No offence was intended towards Tom, Its just that personally, i know that if a ccertain topic, were in a certain section, it would depend if i would look at it or not. I hardly ever check anything on the general forum at times. As for new users, i took me ages and for my mate Mike to tell me that you could click on a "View posts since last visit" link, again, another reason why i was worried less people would see it.

Back to the main point though. As paul pointed out, the Toyo's are a great deal, but like i said, I overlooked them for the reason of, They wont be available for up to 2 weeks :o And i need these, this week! :shock:

Its Ventus (by Hankook) i have at the mo, used to think they were ok, i now hate them!

I have always heard good things about Pirelli P Zeros and wondered if they were worth the cash?

I also think i may of heard bad things about Dunlops, but cant remember, hence the post. I have heard of people trying a brand and swearing to never go back, i have no real experience of performance tyres and i wsa looking for the info of others for guidance.

Regards

NP Brian.

And I'm currently running Avon ZZ1s - and am pleasantly suprised...

Pity about the delay on the Toyo's. Do you really need new tyres for Inters? :D

Cool, How much are the Avons?

It is a damn pity about the Toyos yeah.

Im actually going on the word of my garage, theyre gettin close to the markers on the outsides, probably worse on inners. Well, on one tyre, the other has a bulge on the side of it. The Rear are ok and are 215/40. I dont mind a different size on the front, just heard it can be a bit harsh. was always going to go to 205 regardless to get rid of my spacers on my front wheels but am actually startin to like the 'chunkiness' of the 215's! LOL

Just SOOOOO unsure of what to do! :scratch: ???

I've heard good things about Goodyears but not sure if they're been run cause they're cheap or if its OE or just cause they can!?!?

Well, can't comment on others, but the Avons are still V-grooved like Toyo's etc, and the grip I find it impressive.. but then I can't compare to much :S

I got 'em from http://www.topgear.co.uk - but just checking and they've gone up in price since! :mad:

If you're gonna do it... go for the Pirellis. Just look better and more expensive than Yoko's ;)

Or, borrow lots of space-saver wheels and run four of them until the Toyo's arrive. Slidey, slidey!

i have yoko A539 in 205 40 17.

they seem good so far. maybe better in dry than wet but thats no suprise.

they are better in the wet than my old Falken FK451 tyres and weat better and have a better side wall coverage.

so far they ok.

Goodyear Eagle F1s get my vote. Bridgestone S02/3s are also fantastic. The tyre of the year award went to the Continental Sport Contact (I think that was it's name) as it consisentantly beat all other top brands in :- noise, cornering, braking and dry/wet grip. They are expensive though :cry:

The best 'all rounder' I've tried to date is the F1 but a close second is the Bridgestone, which also has a rim protector. Both have square sidewalls which are stiff and the Bridgey even has dual compound rubber, so the more worn it gets, the better it grips!

Kev

94 VR6

they seem ok. the falkens lsted about 8 months on the front.

I can get eagle F1 for 105 a tyre i think maybe next time

Any coments on pirelli dragos.

been quoted £180 for two fronts fitted for my speedlines.

Is this steep??

cheers

Paul

dubster82, Saw the bit about needing them before International,try your hardest to resist buying before and wait till you get there.You are guaranteed to get them cheaper there. :) :)

DONT SAY THAT TO RODDY!!! HE'D KILL YOU!!!! :lol:

Nah, seriously, had a look today, dont actually look to bad!, Garage says 1 needs chnged, but ill have a closer inspection when the rain is off!

Really fancy Pirelli's tho, was going to get 205/40's on the front and do the back at a later date. Unfortunately the garage told me this was illegal!!! :shock: The larger tyres MUST be on the driving axel!!! Which in the Corrado, is unfortunatly the front :(

DONT SAY THAT TO RODDY!!! HE'D KILL YOU!!!! :lol:

quote]

????????? brian what the hell are you on about now???????????

Well, to finish up the thread. My C is now running 205/40 Pirelli P7000's

Due to the holidays, i couldn't see me getting the P-Zero Nero's on time so got the P7000's for £105 fitted per tyre. A bit expensive. it was from budget, but i was in a hurry.

For anyone interested, these are VERY good tyres IMO. Im well impressed with turn in now, the car runs quieter, handles better, better in the wet, and the tread pattern looks cool too! I will buy another set of pirelli's after this and may even put them on my golf when it's finished!

Highly recommended.

http://www.pirelli.co.uk/en_GB/tyres/ca ... uctid=2113

http://WWW.tirerack.com the best info site for tyres anywhere me thinks. Very comprehensive testing.

Ive got BFGoodrich Profiler G and I think they are awesome, just hang on and on even in the wet. This could be the C as I the tyres were on it when I bought it. Front need replacing and still they hang on amazing.

Sorry if I'm bringing up an old topic but I'm bored at work.

My Ibiza runs Toyo Proxes all round. Despite being a soft compound, very cheap and on a 1.4, I find them very good for what I need them for. They don't have any rim protection, especially as they are slightly strecthed onto the rim.

Goodyears and Continentals are fantastic tyres but they cost an absolute bomb. I've had Continentals on my old Polo and despite them being 155/70/R13s they held the road really well compared to the cheap rubbish it had on before.