reggiebaby

Throttle problem

Hi again, Having a problem with the throttle on my 1.8 16v, it seems that when I take my foot of the accelerator it doesn't return to idle I have to put my foot under and pull it up the rest of the way.. I've had a look at the throttle body and it seems that the cable does not return the way, as you guys seem to have a wealth of knowledge just wondering if it may be something to do with the spring. Any advise much appreciated.

I'd first check the actual Cable, may need lubricating after 20+ years. Disconnect the cable from

The throttle body and try and see if the cable still binds, that way you can exclude the throttle body

Have a look that nothing is catching on the accelerator pedal such as loose car mat or maybe a loose bit of trim.

If you still can't find the cause, it's VEEDUBBED to the rescue with a spare throttle body, cable..or both..

You shouldn't need to oil cables, when they begin to snag its because the wires are beginning to break inside and they're spiking to the out of the cable making them slow to return.

Check your main battery earth cable is clean and secure, a broken earth will make heavy starter motor current try and find its way via anything that connects the engine to the shell to the battery (wiring to the ECU or clutch and throttle cables etc)

You shouldn't need to oil cables, when they begin to snag its because the wires are beginning to break inside and they're spiking to the out of the cable making them slow to return.

If the cable was breaking inside then no amount of oiling would make them better, yet after lubing my cable all has been free and silky smooth which can only suggest some contamination or dirt was causing it to stick.

If the cable was breaking inside then no amount of oiling would make them better, yet after lubing my cable all has been free and silky smooth which can only suggest some contamination or dirt was causing it to stick.

If you hold grit / dirt / contamination in the palm of your hand then add a little oil and mix it together you end up with grinding paste so its only a short term fix. I wouldn't want to be driving enthusiastically into a bend and the throttle jam open on a car (or a bike).