quicky1980

2.0 16V Fuel system update to be with R32 Fuel filter/regulator

I have a BDB Audi 3.2 engine fitted and currently use a Aeromotive FPR near the engine to ensure that the engine gets 4bar of fuel pressure. However I want to tidy this up and remove as many leak paths as possible.

I've been told that fitting a later spec fuel filters on the 3.2 engines have an integrated FPR. I have obtained one from TPS and just trying to work out on how to plum it in.

Image of Fuel Filter/FPR similar to what I have

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83595[/ATTACH]

From recollection this looks like my current fuel filter/pump assembly, image is from google.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83594[/ATTACH]

The two lines at the bottom of the image I believe are the fuel return (blue) and fuel pump in (black) from the tank. The pump then draws fuel from the reservoir to what I think is a regulator on the left and then into the filter on the right which then goes off to the engine. Another line would then return fuel from the engine back to the fuel pump reservoir. Is this correct?

If I am correct with the above I think I could delete the 16V fuel fitler, replace the regulator with the FPR/filter.

This would mean a new fuel pump to filter/FPR pipe (banjo to SAE), another new line from fuel filter/FPR to pump reservoir and modification to the engine line to have a SAE connector to connect to the FPR outlet.

Is this correct? Any suggestions on how to do it better or neater?

I've got a mk5 fuel filter on mine but mine was originally a vr6. The 16v setup has an accumulator, the filter and the fuel pump. Get rid of all that, on mine the blue was return which needs to go in centre of mk5 filter, pickup needs to go in offset pipe then just run supply line to bay.

The 16v should have another fuel pump in tank as well but not sure if they are same pressure as vr6, the 16v runs quite a high fuel pressure

Edited by swiftkid

Accumulator, so is that the cylinder to the left? What's it do?

Can I really get rid of the fuel pump!? Didn't think the one in the tank was man enough?

Yes thats the part to the left, as I understand it, its like a mini swirl pot which helps on startup. I found this thread about running kr pump on a vr6, I know they run a lot higher fuel pressure than a VR6 so need the additional pump but appears as though it might be beneficial for low boost turbo applications!

http://www.edition38.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=387925

OK. Thanks. Being that its a lift pump in the tank I doubt its a decent flow or pressure supply.

Any more details on the swirl pot and issues with deleting it. Think my easiest solution is to put the later fuel filter post main filter.