Grrrrallye

Getting ****ed off with after market parts!

Soooooo, having spent a small fortune on a new Bilstein B12 Pro Kit for the VR and stripping off the rear struts, I then had to order another stack of parts (new bump stops, upper mounts new bolts because the old ones snapped)

So a further £100 gone and apparently I need to cut down the new bump stops and here starts my issues, given that the struts are shorter and I have to cut down the bump stops, I really feel that these should be included as fitting your existing or OEM is not an option, but that aside, I continue to the front end of the car.

By this point I have already ordered new bump stops to cut up, new top mounts and bearings as well as dust covers and so I progress.

Now I read the paperwork and discover that the bump stops are built in and the dust covers are already on the strut - this would be fair enough, but does rather add to my bump stop argument about the rear struts.

When I go to fit the new gear together, I find a note about the "Base Axle V the Plus Axle" - Now this note rather helpfully informs me that if I have the plus axle (and how to identify it) then I need to ditch the spring plates that are fitted to the car as standard so requiring different spring plates.

So I have a question in so much as to my understanding, all VR6 have the plus axle and so all have the smaller top spring plate. Given that the kit I ordered specified that it was a VR6 5Stud version, the spring plates I had on the car or even OEM would be fit to use on this set yet again, there are no new spring plates in the friggin box so I am going to have to sped yet more money

Not impressed.

You don't need to cut down the rear bump stops, some just do. I haven't though.

Read the instructions and look at the diagram of the front top cap. If you have the '+' ones you won't need new top plates. It's only early VR6s which need new ones iirc.

Again, you don't have to get top mounts and new bolts, but it would be daft not to. You could also re-use your old bump stops. It's not Bilsteins fault, perhaps just a lack of research prior to getting them.......

OK So not cutting down the bump stops is fine, and if not required to cut down then I have no beef.

Top mounts I was always going to change as part of the job. I am fine with Bilstein not supplying top mounts as the OEM equipment that would already be fitted to the car would fit with the new suspension.

I have the instructions and diagram in front of me as I write this they state that on the plus axle you need to use part No 1 HO 412 341 and that part No 357 412 341 A fitted to the vehicle is not required. This is my point. they know that the parts fitted to my car will not work with the suspension they have supplied and stated is fit for my car - that is unfair and makes the point of ordering the kit suited for a 5 stud VR pointless as they appear to send the same kit either way

Yes but check what you have fitted already. The spring plates fitted as standard to the vr6 were changed mid way through the production run. Im sure it's only early ones that are wrong so require the newer top plates - which are the part numbers you've mentioned.

Right this was the question I asked in my first post!

I thought that all the 5 stud had the +Axle and so the same spring plates, if that is not the case, then its just annoying and not Bilstein's fault.

I have the later +Axle but now I need to get hold of the early spring plates to replace my newer ones

Az Sean stated, all VR6's have the + Axle but they changed the Spring Plates sometime in the production cycle of the car.

Ian.

OK so does anyone know where I can get early VR top spring plates from?

I found them on VW Heritage but out of stock, I cant find them anywhere else

Part No: 1 HO 412 341

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Still available from VW this time last year, not cheap though - £40.72 for the pair! I'm sure I saw aftermarket equivalents on ebay for about 1/3 of the price though. Definitely worth a look on there.