mlano96

VR6 stil misfiring after coil pack change.

Hi all I am new to this and place and I wish my first post was under better circumstances. I've searched the forum and could not find the information that I was really looking for so I thought I would post here instead. I have a misfire on my vr6 and I've changed the coil pack under the recommendation of other owners however I've just drove the car now and it still misfires not as violently as it did before but it feels like it is happening more often.

I would be hesitant to suspect the spark plugs and ht leads as they were replaced when the head gasket went last August, I also haven't done many miles since then probably around 2000 since I'm at uni most of the time, also this misfire only seems to happen when cold and is fine after it has sufficiently warmed up it also seems to be worse if it has sat for more than a day or so.

Any help or advice is welcome as this has been going on for too long.

Thanks all.

Double and triple check that the leads are seated correctly on the plugs......I had one (back middle) that was almost on but not quite and caused an intermittent misfire.......also have seen people put them on in the wrong order, it runs, just not well. Do you have a lead removal/refitting tool?

Thanks for the reply, I do not have a lead removal tool myself and the leads are in correctly, I did however notice on the coil pack that number six was far dustier and worn than the others, is it possible this might hint to the problem?

A fairly easy check to see where it is, is to get a water mist spray and give it a wee spray in the dark when the engine is running and you'll see blue sparks where/if it's arcing.

If the leads have been removed at any point without the tool, there is a fair chance that there might be the odd wee tear in the rubber as pulling them out isn't good(not saying you did this btw :) )

What type of leads were fitted, the most common cause of misfires in my experience on VR6's is poor quality leads and or been misfitted. Only ones that work are proper VW/Bremi or top quality aftermarket, Dubsports or Magnecor (Dubsports 10mm's are best) no cheap but worth it and MUST use the correct tool every time. I'd check them first and invest in the tool.