WillMK7

2.0 16v (9a) using oil

Morning chaps,

A month or so ago I found the oil level warning light (and the beeping) would come on if I went to sharply round a corner, presumably throwing all the oil to one side of the pan and setting off the sensor. Obviously this shouldn't happen, so I topped it up and its been going fine since. However, I went round a particularly sharp bend yesterday, probably a bit too quickly, and the light came on for a second and beeped at me. So I'm having to guess its either burning oil or loosing it somewhere? I have been doing a lot of miles recently, 60-100 miles every day, so maybe that is a contributing factor?

Has anyone had any experience with the 9a and this issue? Any ideas of what it maybe? Valve seals? I've got a new filter I need to fit as it hasn't been done in a year, I know terrible! But I can't imagine this is the issue at all. Any help would be much appreciated!

There can be a number of things that can contribute to the low oil alarm, not just low oil so worth a check. Obviously check your level regularly, and make sure its within the correct level marks on the dipstick. If this is ok, replace the senders. If it still persists, perhaps try a replacement set of clocks, as these have been known to cause the alarm to go off. However, I had the same problem as you on my 1.8 16v a few years back, and it turned out the splash shield/baffle that attaches the the oil pump pickup (its a plastic baffle), had gone very brittle so a couple of the clips that attach it to the pickup had snapped, causing it to tilt when cornering aggressively, and momentarily block the pickup - thus starving it of oil. It'd only come on for a few seconds, but its not particularly quiet, and becomes very annoying and quite worrying that it could be causing internal damage. I'd suggest doing the above in that order mate.

There can be a number of things that can contribute to the low oil alarm, not just low oil so worth a check. Obviously check your level regularly, and make sure its within the correct level marks on the dipstick. If this is ok, replace the senders. If it still persists, perhaps try a replacement set of clocks, as these have been known to cause the alarm to go off. However, I had the same problem as you on my 1.8 16v a few years back, and it turned out the splash shield/baffle that attaches the the oil pump pickup (its a plastic baffle), had gone very brittle so a couple of the clips that attach it to the pickup had snapped, causing it to tilt when cornering aggressively, and momentarily block the pickup - thus starving it of oil. It'd only come on for a few seconds, but its not particularly quiet, and becomes very annoying and quite worrying that it could be causing internal damage. I'd suggest doing the above in that order mate.

Out of interest bud, how easy was it to replace the clips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't see the link at work, I'll have a look on my phone at lunch time mate. The clips form part of the whole thing so can't be replaced.

That's nor the one mate. The one I had clips to the pickup and hangs vertically down, almost like sectioning the Sump off into 2.