oxfordpaul

VR6 misfire (dizzy model) only in first / second gear under light acceleration

Hi Sean, good to meet you today and no problem re your reply to my question!

Guys, the issue is still unresolved. After the long run to Leeds all was well until reaching Leeds city centre and stopping at a few lights. What actually happens I now realise is the idle speed rises slightly to just bellow 1,000rpm. When it does this I know it will misfire. Sure enough it did, really badly in first and second gear for about 15 seconds, and once up to 3rd and say 30mph it sorts itself out. Very strange. I'm going to clean the ISV with carb cleaner. Any other ideas?

Hey Oxfordpaul,

Was trawling the forums & came upon your post about the misfire. It seems I now have the same issue as you (i hope!) had.

My symptoms are on light acceleration theres a sometimes severe jolt like the throttle is sticking. Also occurs when you lift off the throttle.

So far I've replaced:

plugs

leads

coil pack

MAF

Lamda sensor.

Did you ever get yours resolved & If so what was the cause.

The car is a nightmare to drive around town. Motorway is fine.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

Not sure if Paul is still active on forum, but I now own that Corrado.

Having tried several things as per thread, Paul told me he changed the intake damper (W021133429A - £32 +VAT from VW), which was split. This is the breather on the back of the intake manifold. It’s essentially a catch can for oily fluids that come out of the crank case before the air goes back into the intake. When damaged, you will notice a rough idle and a vacuum leak.

Hope that helps.

Hey there,

Thanks so much for getting back to me! Can i assume that this was the fix for it & the issue is no longer there?

A couple things I would check if you haven't, is the throttle body and throttle cable. If you get baked on oil on the throttle plate edges, it can hang up the plate. Usually it has the effect of idling higher than normal as it won't close all the way being bunged up with carbon. Make sure the throttle cable isn't binding as well when this occurs and everything mechanically looks good.

The other is the vacuum lines. They can look fine, but can get very hard, and then no longer seal when warmed up since they are no longer as flexible as they were. It won't affect idle, but then when taking off, at higher vacuum, can mess up things. Sounds like a frustrating problem. I hate drivability problems.