volksworld13

Top mount conversion

Hey guys

I know this may of been covered a hundred times , however I can't find a definitive awnser .

I'm upgrading my stock g60 top mounts to vr6 , I've ordered the vr6 top Spring plates, plastic bearings Ect,

The top plate is part number :

1j0412341

On fitting the new mounts and spring seats when I went to compress the original g60 Spring , it seemed the spring wasn't fully under the seat, as I took the tension off the spring. I was reluctant to fasten the spring plate and release the spring .

So my question is do I need to use vr6 springs to upgrade, or will the g60 original springs be ok ? Even though it doesn't look completely under the top plate.

( is the g60 and vr6 springs different in terms of how tightly wound the last coil is on the spring that goes under the spring seat?

Any help much appreciated .

I will list all part numbers to do the upgrade once I figure out the spring issue.

Edited by volksworld13
Spelling

You've got a late VR6 spring disc there (they changed at chassis# 50 R 000 8988 ) - maybe you need the earlier ones as the G60 is an earlier version of the car? That would be part# 1H0412341 for the earlier spring disc. Everything else should hopefully be able to stay the same. Hope that helps.

Edited by fendervg

AFAIK VR6 uses different springs due to the weight of the engine. I am guessing yours is still G60?

You got a clearance issue or it doesnt seem to make full contact?

It wasn't the weight of the engine that led to the spring change - it was the clearance at the front splitter. Engine weighed the same for all VR lumps!

Yes my springs are original, and yes I have the latest vr6 Spring caps, and going by what you guys are saying the last coil is larger in diameter .

So to get over this problem do I

A: order late vr6 springs?

B: order the earlier vr6 Spring plates hoping that its larger in diameter.(1H0412341)

One other question does the early vr6 run the plastic bearing the same as the later vr6? The reason I ask is in the link, the bearing doesn't look like it sits in the top plate correctly like the later plates do.

Edited by volksworld13