Guest sam1990rhodes

Oops Brake Fluid everywhere!

Guest sam1990rhodes

Hi Guys,

Removed the brake servo/master cylinder to root the 20v ECU loom through the bulk head, put it all back together and connected all the pipes etc, topped up the dot4 and this happened:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84245[/ATTACH]

any ideas why?

cheers.

hard to see from photo but could be either-

the 2 rubber seals that go between the reservoir and master cylinder ( if it is replace with genuine vw ones ive had problems with brand new pattern ones leaking) or

the hoses comes out of reservoir split not sealed

wipe it all dry hopefully it will be apparent:thumbleft:

Guest sam1990rhodes

Perhaps put a rubber hose over the top of the existing hose and jubilee clip it at either end?

Perhaps put a rubber hose over the top of the existing hose and jubilee clip it at either end?

sound a bodge to me. not worth the risk with brakes.

if its the hose then replace it dont cover it up

Guest sam1990rhodes

does the hose come off the metal line or does the entire line need replacing?

Guest sam1990rhodes

do you know if those lines carry any pressure? is it worth me replacing the entire line (metal and rubber seals) with silicone hoses?

my corrado doesnt have ABS so is a bit different setup to yours.

it does look like the hose is crimped onto the metal line on ABS setups so ideally replace the whole thing but....

i suppose you could remove the crimped connector with a hacksaw then replace hose and reattach using a jubilee clip instead of crimping it on, although im unsure if a jubilee will put up with the pressure??

i would look into replacing the whole thing if available

Guest sam1990rhodes

thanks for the suggestions.

Will have to have a think now. im just confused as to why it would leak down the entire length of the braided bit, perhaps the hose under the braid has gone?

Could it be something stupid like im using the wrong brake fluid?

no problem i like to help if i can as others have helped me in the past thats what i love about this forum

DOT 4 is correct.

if its the original then will prob be brittle and crack easily if disturbed, mine did.

mine was easy to replace as it doesnt attach to a metal line it goes straight to clutch slave, the reservoir only has one outlet on non abs.

The system is operated at rest at atmospheric pressure I believe. This is via the reservoir. You don't want any leaks anywhere from the master cylinder onwards. It's hydraulic and depends on moving a liquid that won't compress in volume around to exert force at the brake discs. The risk with the feed pipe is that air or other contaminants could get into the system. This will either cause soft brakes or internal corrosion in the system.

Please don't take any chances when it comes to the braking system if you are not sure. You are potentially risking your own and other's lives.

IMHO

Edited by fendervg

Guest sam1990rhodes

Think ive found the problem!:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84319[/ATTACH]

when trying to disconnect the braided hoses on the side of the reservoir I noticed the top hose was quite loose, plastic then completely snapped off in my hand!

Replacement Reservoir on the way.