Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

price guesstimate needed!

I've got a oil leak from the block, and my friendly local mechanic said it could either be the head gasket :( or a cam seal leaking oil which is running along the back of the head and dripping off the oposite side, but he needs it up on a ramp to be able to tell.

Obviously if its the head gasket the heads going to be coming apart, so its the ideal time to change a few other things! All I've really thought of so far is changing the tappets to stop the nasty 'tic-tic-tic' when the engines cold, and skimming the head. The mechanic said it'd be a good idea to change the cam belt too as in his little book it recomends its checked every 20k but theres no figure for changing it.

3 questions really, is there anything else I should be looking at doing while the heads off (not cams - i'm poor!) whats a reasonable price for the work so i dont get ripped off, and will skimming the head make a noticable difference?

nice idea, I looked at your post in the for sale section, but £400 plus the cost of fitting the thing is WAY over my budget.

I've got a oil leak from the block, and my friendly local mechanic said it could either be the head gasket :( or a cam seal leaking oil which is running along the back of the head and dripping off the oposite side, but he needs it up on a ramp to be able to tell.

Obviously if its the head gasket the heads going to be coming apart, so its the ideal time to change a few other things! All I've really thought of so far is changing the tappets to stop the nasty 'tic-tic-tic' when the engines cold, and skimming the head. The mechanic said it'd be a good idea to change the cam belt too as in his little book it recomends its checked every 20k but theres no figure for changing it.

3 questions really, is there anything else I should be looking at doing while the heads off (not cams - i'm poor!) whats a reasonable price for the work so i dont get ripped off, and will skimming the head make a noticable difference?

Chris,

It's more likely to be just the cam cover gasket leaking, but if the head has to come off and you're not considering gas-flowing etc.. then I'd at least have the valve's and guides checked for wear, last thing you wan't is to have to do it all over again in a few months time because you start to burn oil.

Cams and tappets can be changed without removing the head at another time if necessary, rattling tappets are annoying but not a problem, it might even be possible to clean them in the right solution, but in practice most people just whack new ones in rather than piddle about. Again doesn't need the head off but a new cam chain is worth putting in as they are not expensive, but only if the old one is worn.

When ever I hear of a 16v head having to come off I always think 'gasflow while it's out', but you would be looking at 500 quid plus I'd have thought for a proper job.

David.

I wouldn't bother getting the head skimmed unless its warped or pitted. Doubt there's any noticeable power gains to be had, only pinking if its skimmed too much. That's what the bloke said when I got my 8v head skimmed anyway, mine needed doing cos it was running out and slightly pitted.

Tappets, check the guides / replace if needed, re-seat valves, valve stem seals (with the head set) and the cam chain would be worth doing. Although the tappets and chain can be done later (and stem seals with the right gear), if you're paying someone to strip the head rather than just fit a new gasket, probably worth doing it all at the same time.

Price wise... Guides and fitting will probably be the best part of £200 (my Golf on 100k didn't need them, 1mm max play), rest of the parts probably £150 ish GSF prices. Don't know about labour, for my sins I strip the cars then hand bits over for machine work so no idea.

When you get the money, a mate fitted a Magnex full exhaust and 4-1 manifold after his head work and got 160bhp, and did 140mph verified by speedo and revs.

got to agree with David

most prob the cam cover rubbers but if it is the headgasket thats gone ive just dont it in my mates corrado and he is a break down of cost

1.8 16v head with cams etc £30

gasket kit including headgasket £10 off ebay (about £40 of Eurocar parts and GSF)

Skimming, valve guides, and valve work £150 from a local shop

and end result a lovely purring 16v engine producing about 160bhp and nice and quick