Bfstrachan

Cams - 9a or KR?

I just bought a 2.0 16v 9a engine. I just wanted to check what cams are in there? Can anyone identify just from the photos, if they are KR or 9a...

Thanks!6c838c2b766e948ce22329f36ffea613.jpg0b9b86e78a9ca6d5dff45f7cbe37c2eb.jpg03ece14a60bb20d4a1b8016ce616bd57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

99% sure they are crap 9A cams Martin.. Which means your gonna be needing a set out of a 1.8 KR mill.

Is it gonna be VEEDUBBED to the rescue?

Whilst your in there, you could always turbo it..

Hi fella, I have a set of KR cams if you looking for some. Actually I got a freshly skimmed KR top end thats been mildly polished in the ports and a painted rocker cover (nice blue) too.

I think the only difference between the look of the two is the intake cam on one is marked 027M and the other is just 027, I just can't recall which way round. I can check when I get home as I also have a set of 9a cams in spares.

Top bang for buck mod as the KR in a 9a works well.

99% sure they are crap 9A cams Martin.. Which means your gonna be needing a set out of a 1.8 KR mill.

Is it gonna be VEEDUBBED to the rescue?

Whilst your in there, you could always turbo it..

Thanks for the reply.... Seem to remember you trying to convince me about the turbo a while back :) I have a KR in the car, so can switch the cams out of that one. Although, it would make it tricky when I come to sell the KR... It's a strong engine and I already have someone lined up to take it off me.

Hi fella, I have a set of KR cams if you looking for some. Actually I got a freshly skimmed KR top end thats been mildly polished in the ports and a painted rocker cover (nice blue) too.

I think the only difference between the look of the two is the intake cam on one is marked 027M and the other is just 027, I just can't recall which way round. I can check when I get home as I also have a set of 9a cams in spares.

Top bang for buck mod as the KR in a 9a works well.

Thanks for the help! I will definitely be putting the KR cams in. Just wanted to make sure the ones in there hadn't been changed to KR at some point previously.

Thanks for the help! I will definitely be putting the KR cams in. Just wanted to make sure the ones in there hadn't been changed to KR at some point previously.

I'll have a look at the markings/numbers my KR and 9a cams and will let you know the difference.

Well much as I'd have liked to sell you my KR cams or the KR head, it seems a little pointless as you already appear to have KR cams fitted.

Took some photographs in the garage last night

KR head with nice shinny BMW blue rocker cover.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84513[/ATTACH]

Inside pic (I know its missing bits that I have in a bag)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84514[/ATTACH]

KR cams clearly show 027 on each

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84515[/ATTACH]

9A cams show 027M on the inlet and 027 on the exhaust

[ATTACH=CONFIG]84516[/ATTACH]

Definitely the 9a cams - I lined up the marks and the inlet cam is 027M. The exhaust cam is 027, so I am guessing it's only the inlet I need to swap out? caf1a1b5d6d34cae6b3b8ef5d5156555.jpg

Definitely the 9a cams - I lined up the marks and the inlet cam is 027M. The exhaust cam is 027, so I am guessing it's only the inlet I need to swap out? caf1a1b5d6d34cae6b3b8ef5d5156555.jpg

I hadn't seen the M, so yeah 9A cams and they need to go :)

You only need to swap the inlet, but I'd recommend swapping both so you have matching chain sprockets (a mismatch could cause wear). I'd also drop a new chain in and do the cam belt while your in there.