16vMatt

Driveshaft Said Au Revoir

Well after replacing the front end of my VR last month following a bit of an incident. I'm now plagued with even more Corrado woes. As I was pulling off from a set of lights there was an almighty clunk and a large puddle of oil appeared. I opened my bonnet to discover my nearside driveshaft had ejected itself. It's still attached hub side.

Anyways managed to tow it home and now I'm in the process of fixing it. Is it as simple as just filling the gearbox with oil again and attaching said driveshaft back up? Will I need any new seals?

Cheers in advance

Question is, How the help did it happen in the first place???

Driveshafts normally don't just er, pop out..

Are you sure Your diff. rivets haven't snapped, possibly smashing a hole through the gearbox casing?..

Question is, How the help did it happen in the first place???

Driveshafts normally don't just er, pop out..

Are you sure Your diff. rivets haven't snapped, possibly smashing a hole through the gearbox casing?..

I can only assume that they had been previously under tightened by the previous owner. I've had the car for just under 3 months and I've not touched either driveshaft. The bolts have come clean out the holes. Worst thing is I haven't been driving it regularly I've let my mum use it for the past few weeks whislt I sorted some issues out on her rubbish Renault. So I assume she just ignored the noise that was been coming from underneath. I was nursing it the 0.7 mile to the unit to get it up in the air to have a look at the source of the noise when disaster struck.

As Andy says there should be no oil with driveshaft coming off just grease look for more damage

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk

Finally got round to it. It was a hole in the gearbox that the driveshaft had cut into like a circular saw. Managed to get it welded for £20 from a friendly fabricator now she's back up and running with new gearbox oil.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk