Simeon

G60 tidy up

Got my hands on a G60 a few months ago and finally started to make a little progress so thought I'd stick a thread up. Spent quite a while looking for a decent Corrado and had actually looked at this one and walked away because I thought it needed too much work. However, after viewing a few others that were even worse I went back and bought it :)

Couple of pics from the advert. Unfortunately the BBS wheels weren't included in the sale so it came on a dodgy set of aftermarket alloys that have now been moved on.

Corrado%201_zpszo8aso0s.jpg

Corrado%202_zpssizsb9pw.jpg

I was just starting it up to drive away from the sellers house and he said, 'Oh, by the way, sometimes it gets pretty warm and the light flashes, but it never overheats ...' Yeah, I should have handed the keys back and demanded my money back, but nevermind. Sure enough, if you put it under load for any amount of time the temps started to climb and was flashing at me shortly before I got home. I did test drive it, but only on the flat and obviously not for long enough. Decided I wanted to do some mods anyway so figured a new water pump and radiator would sort it out.

The planned mods;

- Wagner FMIC

- Rallye U-bend and pipework

- 630mm radiator

- Schrick 268/276

- Removal of carbon canister / boost return / other un-necessary stuff

- Tidy up wiring loom

- New modified headlight loom (the one fitted is quite melted :o )

IMG_20161018_202905_zps8x8epsqs.jpg

IMG_20161018_203313_zpstn7g7umy.jpg

Nice and oily :s

IMG_20161018_203325_zpsjwxtwm9p.jpg

Front off

IMG_20161018_214720_zpsjvubkpv9.jpg

Far more complicated than a Mk2 Golf.. do you have to drain the power steering system to remove the rusty piece in front of the cross member?

More soon

Edited by Simeon

Looks very nice mate, good colour too.

Get rid of that awful interwarmer for a start, lower temp. thermostat and fan switch next, then check the probably crusty

ingector wiring harness.. fit a decent oil cooler in place of the original afterthought fitted by Vw, next it's time for a no-lag SNS eprom in the Digifart ecu.

Whilst your in there change the g60 cogged timing belt too.

If your stuck for bits there's a few of us on here to help you out.

Enjoy it!!

Well done for getting stuck with in . Yes you do have to drain the power steering as the metal pipe runs through the rad support. Or you could clamp the end of the hose.

Yep will get a new timing belt for the charger, wouldn't want that to snap! Am I right in thinking the Continental XL120 is the one to get?

Already have the SNS chip :) so I'll stick that in there. It's currently running a Jabba 68mm pulley and chip, but it was disappointingly slow really compared to the G60 Jetta I built a couple of years ago. Hopefully the cam and bigger intercooler will help make it a bit quicker.

Other than the Miltek exhaust (cat back) and drilled discs it's totally standard, which is nice actually.

I've got some Weitec coilovers to fit, and a set of the Girling 60 twin pot brakes which I'll put on once it's back on the road. Also got some Eibach anti-roll bars which I'd like to put on, but I'm not doing a front one again without dropping the subframe and if I'm doing that I may as well fit a CTN gearbox, lightened flywheel and clutch ... so they can wait otherwise it'll never see the road this year!

New Febi water pump was ordered last night, once that's here I should have most of the bits I need. I think I'll leave that front panel in place for the moment then, as don't want to be messing with the PAS system, should be able to clean it up Ok and stick some paint on with it in-situ :)

Did a bit more tonight, not all good news though..

Got a lot of the front engine ancillaries off, decided I'm going to remove the PAS pipe on the front and clean it all up, stick a poly front mount on it etc. Also going to get the inlet off and fit another that I've got and clean all the oil off the back of the block.

IMG_20161021_225027_zpsci6g8oy2.jpg

Nice oil leak;

IMG_20161021_215945_zpscaie7uac.jpg

An even nicer bodge...

IMG_20161021_220000_zps1vkvx8s5.jpg

And here's the bad news, it looks like my reasonably recently rebuilt charger is not so healthy :( Going to split it tomorrow and see what it looks like inside. Not sure what's going on as the lumps you can see are actually grease..

IMG_20161021_212649_zps9odxfth4.jpg

Beginning to regret this purchase more and more... will crack on tomorrow.

Looks really good dude, really tidy paint work from the pics. I've got a Wagner FMIC coming up for sale soon if your still interested?

Cheers mate, but I already have a Wagner cooler and all the pipework etc.

Did a bit more this weekend, decided I needed to drain the PAS fluid and get the front panel off for a clean up and to give better access to the block. Glad I did now as the fluid was pretty black! Am I right in thinking that the fluid I need to put back is the green stuff -> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302024960542?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

More bits stripped off:

IMG_20161022_212430_zpsqksgjqbo.jpg

Rusty front panel, but luckily doesn't seem to be rusted through anywhere:

IMG_20161022_212519_zpsnimykdhh.jpg

Cleaned all the crap off the front of the block, not going to paint it or anything, just want it clean:

IMG_20161023_194826_zpsg7p1qyoj.jpg

Inlet etc off, just the rocker cover to whip off and paint then I can start actually putting bits back on :)

IMG_20161023_194743_zpsiri4txy2.jpg

Quite a bad leak from the rocker gasket down the back of the engine..

IMG_20161023_194802_zpsirksrmay.jpg

One job that was very satisfying was cleaning up the loom. I've only done it from the bulkhead, but the rest isn't too bad. Whipped off all the old tape (why do people put electrical tape on looms!?), then cleaned all the glue off, did a couple of repairs and taped it roughly into position, just need to do final wrap after connecting it all up when it's back together.

IMG_20161023_194922_zpsl0f4yljz.jpg

Ordered a new water/oil cooler, just hunting down the gaskets I need and will start cleaning bits up this evening. Haven't split the charger yet ... fearing the worst :(

Edited by Simeon

I am in need of a new bonnet release cable if you (or anyone) has one. Even just the piece that goes between the two release catches that the wire goes through would be a good start...

Finally got around to doing a bit more work on this ... it's definitely gone backwards :p

Decided to fit lightened flywheel, new clutch and CTN gearbox. While I was pulling the 'box out I noticed that the subframe is holed :( so that needs to be replaced too .. yay

31966169634_2d95210284_k.jpg

You can just see the hole here

31994870523_4d5d5c7a3b_k.jpg

Good job I decided to look at the clutch as the springs are no good - you can see the one at the bottom of the pic is completely buggered

31966185694_835afedcc5_z.jpg

I'm actually going to pull the engine out as it will just make replacing the subframe easier.

Decided repair was better than replace as the rest of it is in decent condition. Various threads said that the Mk3 subframe was different too, plus this way I don't need to buy a new rear engine mount :)

Obviously engine is out now, have also taken bushes out of the wishbones and stitch welded them. Whipped sump off the engine and removed the oil pump and bigend bearings - new ones on order - then can bolt back together with my windage tray and Shrick sump.

Won't get anything done till Saturday now, so will get some more pics then as I know we all like pics ;)

33088289476_d619861098_k.jpg

one job just leads to another on these cars doesnt it? LOL

have you gone golf g60 or rallye intercooler?

Yeah, I only took the front off to fit the fmic :lol:

I have the Rallye one together with 630mm rad and all factory Rallye pipework :)

thats the way id go in hindsight :bonk:

the gwerks manifold runs really close to the steering gator it melted my first one!

i installed a heat shield that seems to have solved that problem but am keeping a close eye on it.

Yeah, I was concerned about that. I was thinking of putting a heat shield of some sort on the actual steering boot too.

Couple of questions on the manifold - did it fit ok? Offered mine up and had to force it on somewhat to get it to line up with the studs which seemed odd. Also, the wrapping you did looks really smart, any idea how much heat wrap you used? Cheers

I know how you feel. Had to take my head off to do head gasket and have ended up having to remove the whole engine to get to the manifold nut that kindly rounded itself.

Yeah, I was concerned about that. I was thinking of putting a heat shield of some sort on the actual steering boot too.

Couple of questions on the manifold - did it fit ok? Offered mine up and had to force it on somewhat to get it to line up with the studs which seemed odd. Also, the wrapping you did looks really smart, any idea how much heat wrap you used? Cheers

yeah i had the same with the manifold i had a mate assist pushing it together so not to damage the threads on the studs.

i have wrapped the boot in heatproof tape and made a heat shield to go between aswell

the heat wrap i put on was useless i have now removed it.

as soon as it got hot it smoked alot and didnt seem to be getting any better!?

it should have been all right i dont know why it did that its wasnt the most expensive wrap i used tho....

I know how you feel. Had to take my head off to do head gasket and have ended up having to remove the whole engine to get to the manifold nut that kindly rounded itself.

Nightmare mate, at least they come out quite easily :)

Yeah I had the same with the manifold, I had a mate assist pushing it together so not to damage the threads on the studs.

I have wrapped the boot in heatproof tape and made a heat shield to go between as well.

The heat wrap I put on was useless, I have now removed it. As soon as it got hot it smoked a lot and didn't seem to be getting any better!?

It should have been all right, I don't know why it did that, it wasn't the most expensive wrap though...

Glad it's not just my manifold that needs 4 hands to get it lined up then. Interesting re the heat wrap, I had a Google last night and it seems that wrapping manifolds is a big no no these days, causes them to crack/rot/destroy themselves etc. There's a company near me in Bradford that coats manifolds, so I might get a quote off them.

How are you finding it without any wrap on it? Are underbonnet temps really high now or melting anything else?

Nightmare mate, at least they come out quite easily :)

Glad it's not just my manifold that needs 4 hands to get it lined up then. Interesting re the heat wrap, I had a Google last night and it seems that wrapping manifolds is a big no no these days, causes them to crack/rot/destroy themselves etc. There's a company near me in Bradford that coats manifolds, so I might get a quote off them.

How are you finding it without any wrap on it? Are underbonnet temps really high now or melting anything else?

it seems ok now ive fitted the heatshield

temps seem ok in engine bay and hasnt melted anything else but will be keeping a close eye on it

Put some new big ends in today along with a new oil pump and windage tray. Fitted my Shrick sump too.

33116839670_c6db9c082e_c.jpg

32656524164_ed11b48ed6_c.jpg

32686001433_11fb463cab_c.jpg

Also took one of my hubs down to the local engineering shop and pressed in a new bearing :) grabbed a couple of pics towards the end as we all like pics..

Lined up

33478158856_4e294b011e_c.jpg

Going in

32675242814_0032f4070f_c.jpg

And done :)

32656519894_04e91a1c3e_c.jpg

Bought some TT wipers to fit, but a slight mod needed to the passenger side as it's a bit too long

33550777965_3a9f5b32d3_c.jpg

Wants to fit about here...

33509731706_8930aa9a4a_c.jpg

...so needs to be shortened to here - 60mm too long

33421836801_ea1984cae8_c.jpg

Lopped off required amount and prepped for weldng

32736079933_de83664dfd_c.jpg

Result :) just needs a little fettling still ... and a clean!

32736077933_4547b6a7ba_c.jpg

I can't believe how long I've had this car and it's still languishing unfinished 😬

Moved house last year and lost my workshop, so had to hurriedly put the engine back in to move it [had been on a pallet mounted on the subframe sat just in front of the engine bay for about 2 years!] . It's now sat in an open ended lean-to, but my aim for 2020 is to put it back on the road 😀 

This will also allow us to go down to one family car too as I can tool around in the Corrado on the odd occasion, so money saved there is money to put to the Corrado .. that's my argument to the wife anyway 😅

Will get the earlier pics sorted as Photobucket has kindly screwed them up, and update when I finally get some time on it 🙂