Bfstrachan

Control arm removal

I have the engine out and the front end off, so thought it would be a good time to replace the wishbones. Got all the bolts off clean, but can't get the rear free from the subframe. Am I missing something or has the bush just seized onto the subframe? Having the same issue with both sides. The bushes are no longer in the control arms, meaning both bushes are no longer held in their pressed position, the control arms are moving freely around. Just can't get them out of the subframe! Am I ok to use some force as I'm fitting new arms with the bushes already pressed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the rear does has a slotted bit it fits in, so you have to pull it forward iirc

Thanks for the help. Forward as in, toward the front end of the car or forward as in pulling from the wheel arch outward?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, and to remove the roll bar while I'm at it - do I need to drop the subframe at all? And if so, do I need to do anything with the steering rack? Again thanks for any pointers :)

Found a pic of the lip/slot here

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?275870-Poly-bush-help-please

But yeah the arm comes out towards the front end of car. They can be a git to get in/out i've found. Definitely helps to have both front wheels off the ground

Ok, I have the whole front end off and the engine out. I am swapping engines and decided to dig a little deeper... Hopefully the hole will begin to fill in :)

Got the wishbones swapped out - phew!!! Need a pointer on the roll bar drop links. The fitting position - dot you split the bush above and below the housing in the wishbone? I'm thinking yes, but when I took the old ones out they were simply bolted complete to the wishbone?