92DubyaPB

1992 distributor vr6 died, intermittent start

Hey everyone, so my 1992 vr6 died randomly while driving, barely got it going to get it home (idk how). Seems to have fuel but no spark, I plugged into vagcom there were 3 codes, one crank no signal which I know is normal. One other was hall sensor which I know is good, the last one is unknown but I have number. I cleared them out and started rough but cleared out and died 10seconds later and no start again. Only code was crank no signal upon recheck. Any suggestions? Coil is new, distributor relatively new, new temp sensor (blue), maf tested good, crank sensor tested good 2 months ago but haven't checked again, ground strap (earth strap) is hooked to icm from block, is that normal? Only thing I can think is crank sensor, but I'd figured to check before spending 200+ for a new one

Hi,

Just incase I can help the problem with my distributor base VR6 was the ICM on the coil.

It completely cut out and I presumed I had run out of fuel as the fuel gauge hasn't work for some time.

Managed to limp it to a close by petrol station threw some fuel in and it seemed to fix things for a very short time.

Long story short I replaced the coil and integrated ICM and it fixed it.

It was a very quick turn around from initial complete cut and being able to re-start to complete failure with no starting at all.

So if you didn't replace the ICM with coil maybe this could help?

Ok man, then it does seem consistent with a crank angle sensor issue.

Keep us all posted.

Best of luck.

Engine codes were 00515, 00518, and 00513 which came up as no signal crank sensor. I don't know what the others are exactly. In November crank tested 538ohms, don't know if that's an indicator that it's on the way out or not. When I get an opportunity I will test again, but I've been busy, hopfully soon

Got a chance to go digging into my car today. The crank sensor is fine (for now at least). However the wiring for my hall sensor is pretty ghetto and in poor condition, so I'll start with that. Anyone know a good place online where I can find a harness?? I'm going to local parts store electronic cleaner and carb/intake cleaner for isv and throttle body, hopfully that will keep the code away. Thanks for any input. Really want to get her going before snow is gone!