WheelerDave

ABS Pump Plug - I think i've found the problem....

So, the ABS light issue is hopefully nearly at an end....

The light is on in the morning when I first drive the car. However, once its been driven a bit and then left for a while when I next drive the car all is fine. The ABS then works perfectly.

Same thing then happens the following day, etc, etc. Sometimes it takes longer before it goes out. Slightly random.

I have today I think found the problem. When the key is turned the light comes on, then there is a "click" from the ABS pump and the light goes off. All healthy.

However, when I "wiggle" the ABS pump plug there is another "click" and the ABS light comes on. If I leave the plug along and turn the key is turned the light comes on, then there is a "click" from the ABS pump and the light goes off. Then, when I "wiggle" the ABS pump plug again there is another "click" and the ABS light comes on, etc, etc.

I have tried "wiggling" each individual wire out of the plug to see if there is a break, but this does not cause the ABS light to come back on. It is only when the plug is wiggled.

So it seems there is a bad connection in the ABS pump plug?

Has anyone else experienced this? Any cure?

The plug is a bit wet and grimy. I've tried WD40ing it and it does not seem to do anything. I'll try some electrical contact cleaner from Halfords and then let it all dry out before putting it back together.

Any thoughts will be much appreciated as this is driving me mad!

Mine did exactly that, once warm worked fine, changed the pedal sensor for a refurbed one and all's good.

Interesting, thanks. I have changed the Pedal sensor for another 2nd hand one and its been better. But still has the same problem. I've sent my old sensor off to be refurbed and should get it back this week, so will see how that goes....

Amazingly, I think the ABS is finally sorted. So there were two issues I think:

1.the plug onto the ABS pump was not secure / was dirty, so cause random failure. This was cured after cleaning (WD40 contact cleaner) and securing properly. This was a bugger to trace!

2.the pedal position sensor was on the blink. This showed its head by the system not working until it was all warmed up, then worked fine. So first thing in the morning the light would stay on, but later in the day when the car was restarted it was fine. I had the sensor refurbed by Stealth - great job as always.

It's still early days....but I finally appear to have stable ABS....

Thanks for the input above. Much appreciated.

Amazingly, I think the ABS is finally sorted. So there were two issues I think:

1.the plug onto the ABS pump was not secure / was dirty, so cause random failure. This was cured after cleaning (WD40 contact cleaner) and securing properly. This was a bugger to trace!

2.the pedal position sensor was on the blink. This showed its head by the system not working until it was all warmed up, then worked fine. So first thing in the morning the light would stay on, but later in the day when the car was restarted it was fine. I had the sensor refurbed by Stealth - great job as always.

It's still early days....but I finally appear to have stable ABS....

Thanks for the input above. Much appreciated.

:cheers: