annavr6

Mocal external oil cooler - fitting instructions??

Hi All

Currently re building my VR6 engine. wooo be good to drive it again after 4 years.

I have a mocal 13 row external oil cooler to fit. Now i want to keep the original cooler. Im looking for some instructions or pictures to help. Obviously never fitted one before.

Now the sandwich plate goes onto the original and you need the extension bolt which i believe i have. This one

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-extension-bolt-for-the-volkswagen-vr6-engine-m-eb-vr6

I then think i need the cap they say you might also want when buying

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/cover-plate-3-4unf-m-cp-3-4unf

as i have the plastic cap. My engine is a bit of a mix of early and late parts.

Then just carry on and fit the rest as you would when removing the standard one.

If anyone can enlighten me to whether i am right or link me with fitting pics then that would be greatly appriciated. My engine is fresh rebuilt so dont want to fit it up wrong and bugger my engine

That looks right parts wise, you will know right away when installing. Make sure the sandwhich plate goes on the right way, I read an article where someone managed to get this wrong which starved the engine of oil. Seems hard to do though as there is only a seal on one side of the sandwich plate which needs to face the engine and meet the oe heat exchanger.

It wasn't the actual sandwich plate if I remember right, it was the threaded tube that caused the problem as apparently it can be fitted wrong way round.

I've got a mocal sat in my garage but from what I've heard it does over cool the engine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That makes more sense! Cheers Dave.

I wouldn't be without my mocal.... it gets hot quickly!

It wasn't the actual sandwich plate if I remember right, it was the threaded tube that caused the problem as apparently it can be fitted wrong way round.

I've got a mocal sat in my garage but from what I've heard it does over cool the engine

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This is why i want to leave the original in place too as to not over cool. Its the threaded extension tube that can be fitted wrong. i spoke with Merlin motorsport and that isnt the right cap. I need an early metal VR6 cap where the threaded part seperates. My engine is an early one but i am 99% sure the cap is plastic on mine