Sign in to follow this  
matt buz

looking at a vr

hey all

Am looking at a vr6 tonight. Its a local one and i have seen it on the roads for about 2-3 years now. My mate walked past it and the owner caught him sneaking a look inside. He asked if it was for sale and she (the owner) said that it wasnt but she may be open to offers. I rung her and I am off to see her car tonight.

Its got 91k on the clock FSH and black leather interior. she has bad hips and is finding it difficult to get in and out of it.

Her husband runs a local classic/vintage car resto garage so hopefully its in good nick. Its in red which isnt my fave colour but I will be able to live with that providing I have 2.9 litres of monster v6 under my right foot.

Anyhows enough of the waffling. I will be driving the car tonight and I was wondering should the drive be the same as my 2.0l 16v. Obviously it will be faster then mine but will it be a similar drive or way different. I have no idea what a vr drives likel.

A bloke I know that runs a local garage has owned a vr before so he will check it out for me mechanically for only 20 quid.

Any advice is very helpful.

Matt Buz

Vr's always feel weird at first, they are such a lazy engine, and the gears are very long.

so go off the rev counter, not what gears you'd normally be in, and don't be afraid to give it some revs. always take roundabouts in 2nd, and just hammer it on the exit, just be careful not to get on the power too soon if conditions are damp.

where exactly is it? I'm not too far away from leeds.

They all drive pretty much the same.

The VR has the later plus axle setup which has longer wishbones and more anti-roll bar leverage, so body roll will be better controlled, but they still pitch and wallow on standard springs/dampers.

Other than that, they are all from the same family and thus share the same handling and ride characteristics.

If you'd of given me a bit more notice I could of taken you out in mine before hand! Offers still open if you want something to compare it with. Main thing you want to remember is the Timing chains that need doing at around 100k, if your in luck they may have been done already.... if not, budget for a hefty bill!!!

Dan

Vr's always feel weird at first, they are such a lazy engine, and the gears are very long.

so go off the rev counter, not what gears you'd normally be in, and don't be afraid to give it some revs. always take roundabouts in 2nd, and just hammer it on the exit, just be careful not to get on the power too soon if conditions are damp.

where exactly is it? I'm not too far away from leeds.

Its in cottingley bradford somewhere. Not sure yet as I am expecting a call from him after he has finfished work.

If you'd of given me a bit more notice I could of taken you out in mine before hand! Offers still open if you want something to compare it with. Main thing you want to remember is the Timing chains that need doing at around 100k, if your in luck they may have been done already.... if not, budget for a hefty bill!!!

Dan

thanks for the offer dude. Its all happening a bit quick........and I am not sure if I want to get rid of mine yet. I guess I will know after tonights viewing. :roll: Will ask him about timing chains (will this be noted in the history?!?!?)

Cheers all!

(will this be noted in the history?!?!?)

Yes, if there's no bill for it then I doubt it wil have been done... I can't remember the exact cost but i'm sure its around the £500-£1000. maybe someone else can shed some light on this ??

Dan

well, i have had a look and i think that mechanically it is sound. The guy runs a classic car restorers garage nearby and has a very good reputation (he had a lovely mk2 lotus cortina next to the C). We went for a burn and i nearly filled my pants when he booted it down a bypass :-P . The engine sounded really sweat and the idle was rock solid and didnt budge once. He has recently serviced it and there was no dodgy signs with the water and the oil. Everything electrical worked inside except for the heater control dial on the right was a bit dodgy but it still worked.

When he got behind the wheel he drove it like he only gets to drive it once every 6 months to the point of me getting quite nervous.

The bad points where colour fading on the boot which was really evident next to the spoiler.....it was nearly pink!. One surface rust spot on a wing about 3 inch long by an inch wide and the usuallly bonnet chips. The interior, although leather, was well used (yet the bolsters where suprisingly ok) as it was his wifes car and she used it to take the grandkids out and has done for the 5 years of ownership. (think of two 4 year olds jumping around in the back of your C a couple of times a week!!!! :cry:)

Mechanically sound but cosmetically could do with a bit of work......

The problem now is what do I want?!?!? I really really love mine as IMO it looks fantastic and a lot better then this one outside and, more so, on the inside (I also have new wheels to go on soon as well :mrgreen: ) but bleedin nora did that engine sound fantastic when doing nearly 7k in third. I was grinning like a bloody idiot!!!

Lets say, for now, I want the car. Fom what I have said and assuming its mechanically sound (I will get that checked from a previous owner of a VR6 who is a mechanic) What should I offer him?

He has no idea of the price he wants yet and wants to do some research before we talk cash as he has no idea what its worth.

Cheers for all advice so far.

Laters

Matt

Main thing you want to remember is the Timing chains that need doing at around 100k, if your in luck they may have been done already.... if not, budget for a hefty bill!!!

Dan

They havent been done.

To be honest, after what you've said i'd probably leave it and keep looking... Mind you I supppse it all depends on what sort of money he's prepared to take :lol:

(will this be noted in the history?!?!?)

Yes, if there's no bill for it then I doubt it wil have been done... I can't remember the exact cost but i'm sure its around the £500-£1000. maybe someone else can shed some light on this ??

Dan

i wouldn't get too hung up on timing chains being done at 100k.............various people have differing thoughts on this

i know Vince from Stealth is a strong advocate of replacing them at roughly the 100k mile mark etc or obviously if they are noisy....but i know of a VW head tech who reckons that they should easily last the normal service life of the VR engine so 200+k miles.....providing the engine has been well-maintained and not thrashed from cold etc......also i know Jim Curley from Star-Performance thinks that the should only be replaced if they show signs of wear and/or are noisy and aren't really a service related item

i wouldn't get too hung up on timing chains being done at 100k

Ah... i was under the impression it was pretty critical. Do the chains get distinctively noisy before they give up ?? or can it all just suddenly pop ?

I reckon I could get the paintwork done for under 500 quid maybe 750 quid max.

If it comes down to it whats the max I should offer him for the car?