16vMatt

16vMatts 20vt Mk2

Also removed and measured my water hoses and ordered some lengths of silicone hose in the correct internal diameter

Edited by 16vMatt

Bad **** mate..

Whilst your in there, also change the awful big, red alternator-battery feed wire and add a spare earth strap.

25+ year old wiring is now really crap and has substantial voltage drop..

Also rewire the fuel pump feed, when i first turboed an 8v gti golf i only had 11.5 volts present at the pump..

Replaced the wire and was planning to do some tests to see what caused the cable to melt but I've now got not power. My heavy handedness at the fusebox is probably to blame.

I've found an unplugged power cable coming of the relay by the battery which I assume is my problem. Anyone got a diagram of where the power from this relay goes to?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

It's the middle cable coming off the relay pictured which is connected straight to the battery via another cable with an inline fuse. Just can't find anywhere where it may have come from but fairly certain it's my reason for loss of power.2ad4d9a3ee8fc648de69ae650bada936.jpg8c8fbcf37de16e679429f848aa0e631b.jpg

Just some crap relè added on by a previous owner methinks..possibly a home brewed headlamp relay setup, afairc, the headlamps on my old 16v were pretty crap without the inner spots also on.

Bin the bloody thing, one thing less to worry about.

Burnt insulation contains nasty stuff, never handle with bare hands, if it gets inside your blood stream its amputation time. Gloves every time

Cheers for the heads up on insulation didn't know about that.

The car currently has no power at all, the battery is charged and I'm getting nothing at the mess of the fuse box. Empty plugs and unconnected wires aplenty so nigh on impossible to tell what it is that's came loose or unplugged. Obviously whoever did the conversion didn't have OCD as it's an absolute jungle.

4774c48320e9c6a8b14977bc0e0cacba.jpg

Reminds me of My corrado's fusebox..mirror image..

Check For a 12v feed on the main feed into the fuse box, i can see that it's connected from the photo.

That's the feed from the battery positive.

I'm an absolute idiot, I don't believe I've done this. I left one of the live cables off the battery. Feel like a right prat. Car is now up and running just waiting on new water hoses.

New brake pedal switch fitted and also got round to fitting my silicone water hoses all's well. Or so it seemed now I've no sidelights (front or back) and no backlit dash. Still got headlights and main beam though. Fuses all checked so looks to be another wiring niggle.