mandipvirdi

2.0 16v Engine Upgrade

Hi all

I would like some help on engine upgrades for this engine im thinking about taking the plunge and doing some modifications.

I have read about carbs and superchargers and turbos just need some advice. Not sure whether i am going to do anything yet.

What are the best cheapest performance upgrades and i can go from there. Engine swap is out of the question i think.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

What kind of power level would you like? If you're after lots, engine swap will be the most cost effective. Otherwise you could do cams, headwork, de-cat and open it up a bit more

I dont think im up for an engine swap..

Wheres the best place to go to get this kind of work done?

Costs? And what kind of output are we looking at?

I also have an audi tt bam engine which is stage 2+ hence the reasoning behind no engine swap.

Add a nitrous kit, turbo the engine or do as suggested above, KR 1.8 cams, headwork, etc.

Do your want to keep the engine normally aspirated?

Add a nitrous kit, turbo the engine or do as suggested above, KR 1.8 cams, headwork, etc.

Do your want to keep the engine normally aspirated?

Is there a list available of things to be able to do? Parts i would need to source etc? Im fairly new to all this so gets confusing for my little mechanic brain

And what other options are there other than normally aspirated?

Unless staying n/a you're fairly limited as far as forced induction goes. To my knowledge there were turbo kits but these are long out of production. A good setup would be to swap the cams from a 1.8 kr engine (these have a longer duration than the 9a) or aftermarket, de-cat exhaust and go to throttle bodies. In my opinion it would look and sound awesome although would be expensive to do due to the throttle bodies and engine management and would still only push about 180bhp I should think.

You could also stroke the engine to a 2.1 using a diesel crank shaft

I'd still recommend just to pick up a 20vt for a few hundred pounds which would drop straight in on your current mounts and give 200bhp plus straight away

I've got loads of turbo bits left over, mainly because i've done quite a few over the last 15 years.

Who's gonna be doing the work? are you capable of removing the cyl. head, sump and pistons? If your gonna get a garage to do all the work it's gonna cost a fair whack.

To turbo it properly your gonna need the obvious turbocharger, oil lines, water feeds, injectors, fuel line, modified oil sump pan, shave two mil's of the standard pistons and add two metal 2.0 ABF tri-metallic head gaskets as a simple, cheap way of lowering the static compression ratio to around 9.2/1.

The main crux is the engine manegment, i used to use Weber/Marelli ecus and their loom that i modified to fit the corrado.

You need to set a goal and aim for that, big job either way though..

I've got loads of turbo bits left over, mainly because i've done quite a few over the last 15 years.

Who's gonna be doing the work? are you capable of removing the cyl. head, sump and pistons? If your gonna get a garage to do all the work it's gonna cost a fair whack.

To turbo it properly your gonna need the obvious turbocharger, oil lines, water feeds, injectors, fuel line, modified oil sump pan, shave two mil's of the standard pistons and add two metal 2.0 ABF tri-metallic head gaskets as a simple, cheap way of lowering the static compression ratio to around 9.2/1.

The main crux is the engine manegment, i used to use Weber/Marelli ecus and their loom that i modified to fit the corrado.

You need to set a goal and aim for that, big job either way though..

I could really do with having a chat with someone with as much knowledge as you! It would be helpful for a newbie and dummy in the corrado world. I can remove the parts you have explained, my uncle is a mechanic but i need to know what im doing! lol

Thanks! always love to help others try and do modifications themselves.

I reckon the easiest way forward would be to get a used nitrous kit, I def. recommend Highpower kits that are UK made, are excellent quality and miles better than the Competition..

I fitted a used kit I bought off eBay a few years back, if you want I could post up a few photos of how I fitted it. The kit is as hidden as possible, thanks to the bull$hit laws forbidding any mods. On cars here..

Always start small, 25hp boost then gradually increase the power after modding the engine, metal head gasket, ARP headstuds, bigger bore exhaust (nitrous creates much more exhaust gas, this creates more exhaust back pressure) reinforced clutch, gearbox..etc.

Edited by VEEDUBBED