Jimboslice

Corrado 20vt won't shift into any gear

My newly swapped 20vt on 02J box won't shift into gear whilst running but will whilst off.

When started in gear with clutch in the car DOESN'T lurch and I can even find the bite and roll forward. This is with a new g60 slave cylinder and hel clutch line. New gearbox oil (2 ltrs) with 02a tower and 02a linkage holder things.

The pedal is a bit spongey but I've bled a litre of dot4 through it so far. Also back bled with no bubbles. I've tried putting into gear via the tower whilst running and clutch in but still won't work. Please help I really don't want to lift the engine out again!

No it's like hitting a wall when trying to put into gear via the stick. i can get it to lightly grind when trying from the tower. What exactly is clutch drag?

Clutch drag is when the clutch doesn't disengage properly from the driven plate. Did you grease the input shaft on gearbox before refitting the clutch?

Could also be the clutch pump push rod isn't travelling enough to actual disengage the clutch off the flywheel face, hence the grinding of the gears.

The push rod looks like it moves fine through the inspection holes. Also the push rod is too strong to fight against when a friend pushes down on the clutch. What is the likelihood of a clutch disk being installed backwards? is it even possible?

The slave cylinder is a mk2 g60 slave cylinder but I had the same trouble with the corrado 16v slave cylinder.

I fitted the clutch. I recently resolved any issue to be honest I've just found out about the inspection holes and ruled it out. No haven't got it in reverse but it's slightly easier to get to grind.

Regarding the clutch disk, anything is possible I suppose but I'd have thought that the other side of the disk wouldn't sit flush because it'd interfere with the flywheel bolts, it'd be very difficult to bolt down the pressure plate.

Do you remember what make of clutch you fitted? Sachs, Luk etc.

Sometimes the driven plate has the word Gearbox/Getribe stamped on the plate.

I take it that both selector cables are connected correctly?

The only other thing that springs to mind is to temp. remove the selector tower off the gearbox and, using a long screw driver, try and insert the gears from within the 'box by pushing sideways the selector levers that the tower would do.

Not gonna be easy but easier than removing the engine..again.

I would of thought that the pp wouldn't even bolt up if it was the wrong way but I could be wrong. Would it make horrible noises if it was and could I start in gear and roll?

The clutch is Sachs and I think I went by a picture on Google instead of looking for any inscriptions.

Surely selecting the gears in the box would be the same as using the tower? I've tried an 02a and j tower so I think the tower is okay.

I appreciate your suggestions so far 👍👍👍

Yeah, ignore the bit about the towers, my bad mate..i'm gettin old..

If you can wait till tomorrow morning I'll get a spare flywheel and clutch and compare them.

Very difficult to diagnose problems over the net.

I'd appreciate that a lot mate would put my mind at rest if it's impossible to put it the wrong way round!

The only thing left is maybe the throwout bearing isn't working? This is driving me bonkers

I take it you renewed that too? Rare that they break though.

Something similar happened on a Fiat panda 1000 fire I rebuilt the engine on 3 years ago.

The clutch was a Valeo 3 piece kit bought new off ebay. 2 weeks ago, had to get the car towed in because of a faulty pressure plate, couldn't get any gears in without the cogs grinding. I still don't know what went wrong with the plate, only thing visible Is a slightly bent diaphragm spring.. Ok, it's 3 years old but only has 20.000km's run, pretty pathetic, especially as it's Valeo too, not some cinese shiyte..

Yeah I renewed it. The only thing I didn't change was the clutch fork but I remember inspecting it. Do you remember being able to start it in gear without it jumping forward? Because that's the weird quirk I'm getting

Sounds like the clutch plate not disengaging..

I've been buried under a foot of snow this morning so getting down to the garage is gonna be a challenge mate..

Yeah, the panda had the same problem, broken diaphragm spring, at least that's what I think happened..

The car suddenly jumped out of second and that was it, no gears available from then on.

The actual clutch mech. Worked fine, cable was fine and through the timing hole you could see the plate disengage from the pressure plate..but not enough.

Go Bloodywell figure..

M

When started in gear with clutch in the car DOESN'T lurch and I can even find the bite and roll forward.

Wouldn't this ^^^ rule out clutch problems ? And if it is dragging the car would move with the clutch down ?

I've not heard of people fitting an 02a tower to an 02J,could that not be a problem? Shouldn't be I know but Just throwing it out there :)

Edited by rado20vT

Yeah rado that's what I'm thinking too? I don't know why I swapped to the 02a tower but I've tried an 02j tower too with the same results.

I'm gonna try and get a cheap tiny camera to see if I can see what it is and maybe make a longer push rod for my other slave cylinder.

No chance of bolting on the friction plate back to front, it sticks out and the fixing bolts would just about bite the first few threads of the flywheel.

I remember swapping selector towers between 02j's and 02a 'boxs, they all worked, the selector forks inside are the same between the two boxs anyway.

I'm completely at a loss without taking the box out. Just ordered an endoscope off eBay for pennies so I'll poke it inside and see if anythings out of place.

Could a master cylinder cause this by the way? I've heard that when you drain the master sometimes the seals perish? I'm thinking my pedal would go floppy though.

How hard is the pedal?

Trying to guess what's up from a distance is a bitch..

First Time I've heard that about draining the fluid and perishing seals.. If left without oil for 20 years then, yeah maybe.

Grab the endoscope along with a spare mate, whilst you poke the camera in the bell housing, have your mate push the clutch pedal down, check how much the push rod moves out and if it actually pushes the pressure plate enough.

Out of curiosity, was any repair work done inside the gearbox?