g6089

clutch

I think that my g60 has a hard clutch pedal. That's how I got it a couple of years ago though, my other one I had from new back in 1990 as long as I can remember was not that hard to disengage, I remember I changed it after abt 80 k km when it got harder but If I recall not much had changed other than a slight difference. Anyway I kept it like this for another 6 years but since I was living in the center of the city with a lot of traffic, that had an impact on my knee, which I still carry today, considering I had driven it there for most of the 210 k km by the time in 2001 when I sold it to get a family car. Wondering if there is a tested clutch set that would require less effort and knee force to disengage. The standard VW is Sachs or Luk at later stages if I'm right. I have another g60 as a future donor, still a runner, although the charger is done, and the clutch is much softer but disengages a bit higher. Don't know what kind it is.

Any suggestions if there is a set that requires less knee abuse welcome.

I had a similar experience with the VR.. nothing wrong with the original clutch it was working fine but heavy. When it got replaced anyway with the timing chains it was much lighter. When the friction plates are worn it seems to require more effort to disengage (it has to physically move further, makes sense).

I'm not aware of any significant differences between brands in this respect, they all aim to match the OE clamping force and torque capacity, apart from the aftermarket tuners who would generally aim to exceed oe torque rating and would likely be heavier.

A Corrado is for life, not just for the MOT.

I wish I knew the brand of the clutch in my other Corrado, maybe its fresher. All shops I know dealing with VWs work Sachs clutches as they are the ones fitted from factory. Maybe I ll just experiment and go ahead with a new Sachs clutch and see if its any better. Only thing holding me back is the fact that the clutch is still good, no slipping at all under any load and any shifting, only a little hesitant some times when shifting quickly but that could well be due to its cable shifter.Never were quick shifters!Strange that my other G60 shifts smoother but has more travel.