edd

Brake calliper internal polishing/cleaning

Ok so have a set of 288 calipers I bought some years ago and stuck them on the shelf, they had been refurbished when I bought them but much the same as me they had probably been sat on the shelf waiting a while for a project that did not happen

Now I’m getting round to getting the work done on mine and have collected all the parts needed To refurbis the drivetrain and I noted that the calipers did not have banjo bolts fitted and therefore were assumably left dry

I have managed to push the brake pistons out using a foot pump (so not seized) and it looks like the internals have had some form or light red grease applied the pistons look ok but there is some light corrosion to the internals.

From what I’ve read so far it seems that corrosion to the pistons is the biggest problem not the caliper body internals

What is the best way to clean the insides up, do I need to?

c09eae476ffac2a4cb36049fbec882d9.jpg048608288d2e88451dd86f1eb1c9ead5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The body of the Piston looks in decent shape so I wouldn't be concerned. A light rub with 1000 grit will remove any surface rust if you are, and a light mist with brake fluid before reassembly should be sufficient for a good seal. Check the rubber seals haven't hardened as well

I use a dremel with a brush wheel, they do a longer lasting one than the ones where the metal strands just vanish as soon as you touch something