petemcr

Couple of VR6 questions before starting work

Hey guys,

hope everyone is alright. I've got a few questions for the people in here who know the VR6 engines well. So I took my Corrado off the road some time ago and I thought it would never run again, well with the help of Phil on here I managed to get an engine and sure enough, she lives again. So loads of work has been completed on the car now that she can move and she's back in good shape again bar the age old issue of rust around the wind screen.

So, as I don't know the history of the current engine that well, and the fact I still have my old head sat in storage I think I am going to build up another engine and replace everything I can, with plans to eventually swap them over, but before getting too in to I thought I would ask the bits that have been bothering me.

Bottom end, from what I have read, the 2.8 was a better engine in terms of longevity as the cylinder walls are thicker, and also the power wasn't made with the slightly larger displacement, it was Cams and intake which helped get the extra power, is that true? Am I best sticking with the 2.8, or would it be best to get the 2.8 and have it bored out (I believe Vince at Stealth knows someone who will do this)

As for the head, having watched videos of the Humble Mechanics strip down of the VR6, he mentions about marking the bearing caps so you know which cylinder they have come off, over the years of storage and not being marked I have no idea any more which bank they are for, but I was thinking of putting in some high lift cams, if I do go down the cam route will it matter as much with the bearing caps as they won't be worn in with the cam as they've been replaced, or are the caps still available to buy.

Also, lifters, any one suggest which lifters to use as replacements, I noticed there's a few around that are still available.

Also the chain tension bolt, as my engine runs on a dizzy and the replacement was using coil packs, I've had to remove the cam position sensor and fit the arm for the dizzy on to the cams, this has worked fine, but it does mean I have to use the old style tension bolt and the block runs on Simplex chains, is this going to apply to much pressure and cause then to fail prematurely?

Or is this a mammoth task that I am thinking of taking on and do I stick with the block that is in, it runs perfectly it just has the problem of noisy tappets and I have no idea when the chains were done.

I know a lot of this has more than likely been covered before, I would just very much like to keep my Corrado as part of the ones that is still on the road and in good condition :)

I know i keep posting this link, but these engines popped up a while ago and i bought one, works out much cheaper than any other option imo

https://cabmasters.com/miscellaneous/vw-vr6-engine

Not sure how many he has left. They are actually an AFP code engine, so have a few head differences, mainly the cams (so i am going to fit some schimmel 263 cams (trying to set up a bit of a group buy with Vince, or at least show him a few people are interested and he will stock up on them)

INA seem to be a reasonable lifter set. But with the above engine i posted you get everything and none of it is worn. Just an oil pump on its own cost me about £220 last time.

I know i keep posting this link, but these engines popped up a while ago and i bought one, works out much cheaper than any other option imo

https://cabmasters.com/miscellaneous/vw-vr6-engine

Not sure how many he has left. They are actually an AFP code engine, so have a few head differences, mainly the cams (so i am going to fit some schimmel 263 cams (trying to set up a bit of a group buy with Vince, or at least show him a few people are interested and he will stock up on them)

INA seem to be a reasonable lifter set. But with the above engine i posted you get everything and none of it is worn. Just an oil pump on its own cost me about £220 last time.

That is very tempting tbh for the price, would be nice to just bolt on all my ancillaries and then fit it.

You happy with it then?