elberkawi

Late Style VDO Gauge - Everything Needed (G60)

Hey everyone,

I recently secured a late style VDO gauge seen in the VR6. Im planning to install in my 1990 G60 (Yes, it is trimmed down to fit)

Can anyone quickly put together a list with links/part number of all the required parts to make it work.

Thanks in advance!

It's a shame to trim it - it's worth a lot more in one piece. There was an earlier 2 x round VDO gauge trim for the pre-facelift cars.

The main item you will need is an oil pressure sensor (either twin pole, so you can run your existing pressure buzzer of it, or single, which can be run with a T-piece and adapter. ARZ-tuning in Germany supply these, but most of the UK based performance VW shops should have what you need. You will also then need a 4 pin connector to go from the loom into the back of the housing - you've got the pressure sender wire, illumination, switched live and earth to connect and that's it. You can take these from the cigarette lighter and the glove box light. The single cable from the pressure sender goes from the oil filter housing through one of the grommets in the bulkhead near the pedals and back to the gauges behind the dash.

There's a guide on here in one of the threads or in the knowledge base/wiki. I'll see if I can find some of the part numbers from when I did it.

It's a shame to trim it - it's worth a lot more in one piece. There was an earlier 2 x round VDO gauge trim for the pre-facelift cars.

The main item you will need is an oil pressure sensor (either twin pole, so you can run your existing pressure buzzer of it, or single, which can be run with a T-piece and adapter. ARZ-tuning in Germany supply these, but most of the UK based performance VW shops should have what you need. You will also then need a 4 pin connector to go from the loom into the back of the housing - you've got the pressure sender wire, illumination, switched live and earth to connect and that's it. You can take these from the cigarette lighter and the glove box light. The single cable from the pressure sender goes from the oil filter housing through one of the grommets in the bulkhead near the pedals and back to the gauges behind the dash.

There's a guide on here in one of the threads or in the knowledge base/wiki. I'll see if I can find some of the part numbers from when I did it.

I purchased it for a steal already trimmed by the previous owner so Im not too upset.

How's this part look? - https://www.vwheritage.com/v360023-vdo-oil-pressure-sender-150psi-2-pin-with-warning-light-m10-x-1-vw-spare

Thanks for the wiki link - helps a bunch!

That's the sender I used on a vr6 engine. Either use spade connectors on the back of the the guage or connection block. I bought one from vw with the wires... but I was told a sunroof motor is the same connection block.

From one of my previous posts....

Quote Originally Posted by diarmaid16 View Post

Good stuff! How did you know what plug and loom to get?

If you read all the stuff in the search on guages your find the part numbers..

You need 1J0 972 704 which is the black plug @ £4.28

000 979 133 E which is the wire set... I ordered 4 wires but you can get away with 2 as they have plugs both ends and you can chop them in half. They are 3 quid each.. To be honest you could just buy the wire and terminals for the plug off eBay and make them up yourself. Would be cheaper.

Or I've been told it's the same plug as a mk3 golf sunroof motor...

Edited by delfinis38

Yep - that's the part number I was looking for for the connector - the wire is just a repair kit from VAG, two will do as they have the terminal already on both ends so you can just cut it in half to get four for the connector and then join them up to your existing wires.

That twin pole sender was what I would have used on my 8v GTI MkII years ago, so should work fine for the G60 as well which is basically the same block - just make sure there is enough clearance for it.