_Matt_

VR6 - breather

Hi,

I've got an oil leak on my VR, more so when I drive it harder. I suspect crank seal as upper parts are dry and the drips are between gearbox and sump. Whilst my mechanic was servicing my family car today he suggested I check the breathing system for blockages as that will cause oil to leak via the easiest exit, he suggested I blew through it to check.

He had a Corrado 16v for many years but without looking wasn't 100% on the VR6. I know the PCV valve, and have replaced it in the last 12 months, but is there any other hoses I can check for blockages before succumbing to the gearbox off & new clutch job of replacing the crank seal....

I have tried forte stop leaks to no avail.

Secondly, if I so find a blockage in the breathing system how do I clean it out? Probs should have asked my mechanic but didn't want to take the pish too much.

Cheers,

Matt

Hi,

I've got an oil leak on my VR, more so when I drive it harder. I suspect crank seal as upper parts are dry and the drips are between gearbox and sump. Whilst my mechanic was servicing my family car today he suggested I check the breathing system for blockages as that will cause oil to leak via the easiest exit, he suggested I blew through it to check.

He had a Corrado 16v for many years but without looking wasn't 100% on the VR6. I know the PCV valve, and have replaced it in the last 12 months, but is there any other hoses I can check for blockages before succumbing to the gearbox off & new clutch job of replacing the crank seal....

I have tried forte stop leaks to no avail.

Secondly, if I so find a blockage in the breathing system how do I clean it out? Probs should have asked my mechanic but didn't want to take the pish too much.

Hi P,

Are you sure it’s not coming from the end of the breather hose connected to the inlet elbow, these are always a bit weepy and even more so as the engine gets older and you drive short journeys, it can be improved by replacing the valve seals. If you look below the breather hose there is even a plate to protect the the blowback oil dropping in cables and components on late models . Also have you had a good inspection of the sump gasket that the oil isn’t leaking and the air is Under the car is blowing/ channeling it up into that area .

Yeah it’s had a new sump in the last couple of years, it’s dry around the sump seals. The drip comes from the cover that covers the gearbox next to the sump. Oil makes it was across to the power steering pump as well.

Is the breather hose the one that joins the inlet above the thermostat sensors? If so that’s all dry up there. I have stripped the cool pack off and whilst there was a very small amount of oil on the end of the coil pack bolts it was pretty dry.

What I call the breather hose comes from your PCV /inlet manifold to your air intake boot elbow, if you run your finger were it joins the intake boot there is a grey sleeve fitting, don't be suprised if you have a finger tip of liquidated oil and this drops below depositing every where.

http://images46.fotki.com/v1611/photos/2/1085992/7989207/VR6MAF-vi.jpg

Ahh yes that’s what I thought might be the breathing system - I have replaced the PCV with a genuine part and had it all apart for cleaning. No leaks there but I will try blowing through back towards the engine (pcv detached) to see if there are any blockages in the camshaft cover.

its not so much a blockage mate its the oil blows past the vavle seals and blows out the end of the breather pipe conncected to the intake boot . Look under the intake boot is there alot of oil on top of a silver plate. its the other end ot the hose that is attched to the PCV basicaly. Some people use an oil catch can to catch the oil residue, I even have installed these on new cars in the past to stop the intake getting contaminated . Ive just left as it is on the Corrado.

Edited by Keyo