PeteL

Springs Advice

I have done lots of searches on lowering springs and it’s a subject that’s been covered a lot so apologies but my situation is a little specific so require some help/advice.

I have an early 16v on standard shocks and springs. The front shocks are original so need replacing, the rear where changed to Bilstein B4’s couple years ago by previous owner so have plenty of life in them.

I would like to lower the car a little (no more than 30mm), so was thinking of changing the front shocks to B4’s to match the rear and then use some lowering springs for the drop. It seems a waste to bin a perfectly good set of rear B4s. Wheels are standard 15” Sebrings.

Now I realise standard shocks and lowering springs are perhaps not the best set up as they are not matched. However general view seems to be that a small drop is ok on what would be fresh dampers. My annual mileage is low (2k per year) and I don’t mind a firmer ride as this is not a daily.

Eibach or H&R springs on a 4 cylinder cars seems to be popular and suitable with standard shocks.

What’s peoples generally thought of going down this option?

Thanks

I have done lots of searches on lowering springs and it’s a subject that’s been covered a lot so apologies but my situation is a little specific so require some help/advice.

I have an early 16v on standard shocks and springs. The front shocks are original so need replacing, the rear where changed to Bilstein B4’s couple years ago by previous owner so have plenty of life in them.

I would like to lower the car a little (no more than 30mm), so was thinking of changing the front shocks to B4’s to match the rear and then use some lowering springs for the drop. It seems a waste to bin a perfectly good set of rear B4s. Wheels are standard 15” Sebrings.

Now I realise standard shocks and lowering springs are perhaps not the best set up as they are not matched. However general view seems to be that a small drop is ok on what would be fresh dampers. My annual mileage is low (2k per year) and I don’t mind a firmer ride as this is not a daily.

Eibach or H&R springs on a 4 cylinder cars seems to be popular and suitable with standard shocks.

What’s peoples generally thought of going down this option?

Thanks

If the shocks are not worn then the Eibach are fine with B4 shocks. I have that set up myself. Remember these after market companies sell these springs normally stand alone to go on stock struts, you could splash out more for some sportier shocks but the ride quality will be a bit more harsh especially over bumpy roads . Depends what you want sport/handling or comfort, I went half way so did the B4 set up with Eibach springs , but more then anything the ass on a Rado needs to be dropped so it don't look like the car fell on the chassis from factory. Retailing companies will always try and sell you the whole set up of B12 etc because it increases the premium. I spoke to Eibach and they advised me that the B4 shocks are 10 % stiffer then stock shocks and It was fine to put the lowering /springs on them. With any lowering spring though it will shorten the life of your shocks of course but still good for 8/10 years I reckon.

Edited by Keyo

Thanks Keyo, I saw from your thread you have used both Eibach and H&R, any preference?

My H and R springs came off some tired Yellow sports Bilstein shocks that were about 15 years old so I can'r really comment, however I imagine they were a great sports set up when new but Ive always prefered a softer set for the sort of motoring I do.

Don't quote me on it but I think the H and R springs need to be used with sports shocks as they are stiffer then the Eibach, maybe someone else knows off here ? H and R are a quality brand .

I have contacted H&R to ask if they are suitable with standard shocks to see what they say, but if anyone does know?

I am concerned with the Eibachs as they kit is the same for VR6 and 4 cylinder models (H&R have separate kits) so worried the front won't be low enough because the 16v will be lighter.

Ok that does sound odd that they have the same springs, have you contacted the manufacturer to confirm that, or Larkspeed are pretty good. I know the golf and Corrado VR6 share the same springs.