TimA

Born again VR6 man!

Quick hello from me, as the fairly new owner of a twilight violet 94 VR6, that’s covered just under 130K. Given the grot and dust behind panels and in boot well, it was used as a mobile skip by one of previous owners, but despite that it is still in ok nick. Am trying to treat various minor rust issues to get it set for winter- stuff like around the slam panel, under the spoiler etc- but broadly it’s in ok condition . Worst thing is bonnet, with multiple v shallow dents- suspect kid’s ball or similar. Managed to get near mint cloth interior for it almost immediately after buying- so inside looks pretty good. Wheels refurbed by previous owner- so they are ok too. Am still getting used to electrical quirks- whack the switch housing surround if sunroof doesn’t work!- and the central locking is random too. Mot due soon, so may not be so positive after that.

Previous cars were 3 16vs, incl my favourite car of all- a Gti Engineering RE2000 conversion- performance of a VR with fuel economy of a 16v. Also had multiple VR6s, including 2 Campaigns no less. Can’t believe I let them go- but it seemed sensible at the time; just seems bonkers now!

Quick hello from me, as the fairly new owner of a twilight violet 94 VR6, that’s covered just under 130K. Given the grot and dust behind panels and in boot well, it was used as a mobile skip by one of previous owners, but despite that it is still in ok nick. Am trying to treat various minor rust issues to get it set for winter- stuff like around the slam panel, under the spoiler etc- but broadly it’s in ok condition . Worst thing is bonnet, with multiple v shallow dents- suspect kid’s ball or similar. Managed to get near mint cloth interior for it almost immediately after buying- so inside looks pretty good. Wheels refurbed by previous owner- so they are ok too. Am still getting used to electrical quirks- whack the switch housing surround if sunroof doesn’t work!- and the central locking is random too. Mot due soon, so may not be so positive after that.
Previous cars were 3 16vs, incl my favourite car of all- a Gti Engineering RE2000 conversion- performance of a VR with fuel economy of a 16v. Also had multiple VR6s, including 2 Campaigns no less. Can’t believe I let them go- but it seemed sensible at the time; just seems bonkers now!
Welcome aboard mate. No idea about the last response !!! Always good to have a Corrado

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Cressa.  Relieved you don't get the previous reply- was worried I'd inadvertently posted something on an entirely different forum; and I have no idea who Kate is, before you ask!

Things have moved on since previous post- car now has new MOT at relatively low cost (advisories rather than fails, so pretty pleased with that);  and the sunroof whack turned out to be failing motor- now replaced  (with plentiful help from previous forum posts...) and working fine atm.

Bonnet dents still there. Still trying to pluck up courage to buy an Amazon dent removal kit and see what happens. They only show at certain angles, so all are relatively shallow. I guess I ought to post to see if anyone else has any recommendations or experience that says just don't bother, and get in someone who knows what they're doing (or just a new dent free bonnet and respray).

Have been keeping an eye on the Campaign that is up for sale/auction on Car and Classic... in a "**** me,  how much?" sort of way. "Bonkers" (from my first post) seems way too mild for that sort of money. Yes they were lovely, if very red inside, but all the extra leather inevitably started to shrink it the sun, however much cream you put on it- so the dash and doors started to look like they were fraying along the edges. Not a class look. And at the time it didn't help either that Golf VR6s came in the same colour, so it wasn't very exclusive at all. Fellow Corrado owners always drooled over them though!

Sad to see so many being broken at the moment too- I know we all need donor cars to keep ours on the road, but some of those being broken don't look bad enough to justify that. Sad truth that they're worth more in pieces than intact, I guess. Perhaps their owners will be like me with the Campaign in a few years time, and think "if only...".