_Matt_

Respray/Bodywork

Keyo - yours sounds like mine. I have some small bubbles on one rear arch and want to get the other side done purely because of the masking around the seals. I hadn't thought about lifting the seals with wire, would they work around the rear quarter glass?

Ive contacted Ben's Greg, he will take a look at it. I'd also sell it any buy one for 10k but I only need the sides doing (and the fuel filler flap area redoing). The car is not bad at all and if it wasn't for the shoddy masking I'd not be getting the sides done (except arches)

Keyo - yours sounds like mine. I have some small bubbles on one rear arch and want to get the other side done purely because of the masking around the seals. I hadn't thought about lifting the seals with wire, would they work around the rear quarter glass?

Ive contacted Ben's Greg, he will take a look at it. I'd also sell it any buy one for 10k but I only need the sides doing (and the fuel filler flap area redoing). The car is not bad at all and if it wasn't for the shoddy masking I'd not be getting the sides done (except arches)

If you won the lottery in an ideal world glass out, but just lift the seals , as mentioned I got my two sides done for 1 K and I was very happy with the results mate, was going around people asking thousands , I went to inspect the arches after they had been sanded down and it was silver underneath and was caused by water rolling up the lip externally not rusting through from behind. I used Sutton Motor Bodies.

I know Sean off here if he has rust he sands it down before he goes to the body shop so they can see what need doing so they don't make up a silly price . Also I think Sean said he has had his sides done for about 1k.

At a later date if you wanted to you can get the bonnet done which would be around £250-£300 , etc bumper £250.00 - this is the cheapest way to get it done.

Edited by Keyo

P do you want me to have a word with the owner of sutton motor bodies , I know him well his dad who is sadly departed use to rent me an industrial yard for my scaffolding business. Ill just say similar job to mine same price ? They use quality products , he mentioned they used an etched primer on my car whatever that means where the rust was.

Edited by Keyo

Yeah thanks Keyo. I'm prepared to bring it up, probably in the new year post salt season. I know you wouldn't accept bad work so very interested.

I do need my petrol filler area sorting, prob with welding a new panel.

They won't do the filler cap mate as Stan their main man hates welding even though he is brilliant at it, has got far to use to bolt on and bolt off panels and refuses to do it now, however they will spray your sides for 1K with the seals lifted with wires. That's why the prices are so high they only like bolt on bolt off as they don't like the unexpected so wack a massive price in to cover eventuallities, it took me three visits to talk Stan in to doing it and in the end that was by means of approaching the owner and using old ties. When I went to see the car sanded down he said straight away was nowhere near as bad as he thought so I reckon he would be happy to do your sides.

If you search there are just automotive welders out there and they are so much cheaper then a body shop and then send into spray afterwards. We have a few in Birmingham, one is an old chap who works from home and was a welder at Rover for 30 years.

Edited by Keyo

Cheers Keyo

The fuel filler cap area may not even need welding but it does have signs of surface rust around the edges. Difficult to photo. Who ever sprayed it in the past just chucked paint over it

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iZXt7ppXvuEKfMG48

And these are the bits around the seals that really annoy me

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5N2yWXjPDdpo1KUP9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fsUGCBcv48jDmVE26

Yeah they should of just lifted them seals up there are special tools/wires on the market to lift them so you don't get that nasty join marks, but that almost looks like an amatuer has done that to be honest. I think you should just budget between 1-2k max , forget that 10k business that is for cars where the paint is failing all over the body. To be fair removing the rear windows can do more harm than good sometimes, if not replaced/bonded correctly can lead to water ingress and rot inside the window, you will be relying on a window fitter it will be out of your hands.

Edited by Keyo

I'm defo in agreement. I'm certainly interested in your chap if he's interested. I could send photos and visit if he thinks it is doable.

I was just looking at Jamie's for sale thread http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?110030-1993-Corrado-VR6-Dragon-Green and noticed he spent £7k on a full respray, back to metal in places and had welding. Pics in his Flickr gallery. It looks exceptional but mine does not need that level of work.

My 10k quote is clearly a sign they don't want to work. I'd rather spend sub 2k and put the money towards another toy in the future. I'm not after uber perfection and I'd probably not use it if it was!

You car has suffered from bad masking I would say .

Think if you watch this video it explains well, the person who carried out the work did bad prep and caused a hard line where the seal joins. Typical sloppy lazy workmanship that makes me sick.

I'll call the owner up Monday, if you can post me some pictures of the two sides standing back off the car .

Cheers

There is hardly any mate. Just some tiny bubbles max 1-2mm wise. Hasn't broken paint, I just see this stuff and want to jump on it and get it fixed.