Sign in to follow this  
mariovr6

CUTS OUT

The sulphur smell is a result of unburnt fuel getting into the CAT probably from cylinder 6, the plug of which, as you mention is covered in s**t, wet & stinks of petrol. Running on 5 cylinders will not help your idle control and if continued, will require you to add a new CAT to the list of replacement parts required.

MAF & ISV contamination can occur as a result of over-oiled aftermarket air filters and from the crankcase ventilation system (PCV). You can alleviate this effect of the PCV by using an inline filter or catch can on the breather but do not disconnect the breather tube from the intake or leave it venting to atmosphere with a mini K&N on it. Excessive crankcase pressure can cost you power (2-3 bhp) at high RPM and lead to oil seal leaks.

Finally, MAF sensors are characterised to the intake geometry of the standard car airbox which is precisely the reason that you can use the same MAF sensor with a larger bore tube, providing you calibrate it to suit. When you fiddle with the airbox geometry by fitting cone filters, etc you are exacerbating the measurement error of the MAF (betwen 2-5% as standard) which may have already drifted with age, thermal cycling and contamination. The adaptive fuelling loop can compensate to a degree but not if it's handicapped with intermittent 5 cylinder running.

cheers

the car dont cut out anymore, not sure why? i cleaned the air filter box and removed the dead family of wasps flies grass n crap lol also messed about with the dashpot but i did remove or ajust it....

also drove like a normal person and didnt coast to the lights nor try and save fuel by putting it in 5th at 40mph!!!

so do you think im driving on 5 cyl ?? is it really bad if the number 6 plug came out black as black?? im not sure about power on the car but ive never thought my vr6 was that powerful? not sure if its just me getting used to fast cars as ive had alfaromeo GTV, golf gti mk3 and mk1 and my corrado vr6 doesnt seem much faster then the gtv

changed the water bottle n cap now i can see throu it!! and there seems to be presure on the hoses as it should i guess when hot, also old on had alot of rust colour crap in it,