Sign in to follow this  
castoutintheseventies

Help - emergency wheel therapy needed

Hi all,

Hope you can help with an idea or two..

This week some kind people nicked all the alloys off my corrado . As a temporary measure I need to get hold of some kind of wheels to get it off the ground and move it - any suggestions?

I understand that Golf alloys might fit? But which Golf?

Or any other bright ideas?

Thanks a lot

J

what corrado is it?if its 4 stud then the mk2 golf yearly mk3 golf wheels would be ok,or if your desperate 4 stud bmw wheels fit

Did you have locking wheels nuts on the car? Were they the standard VW alloys or aftermarket ones?

Thanks,

Its the 1.8 and as far as I can remember (I only got it fairly recently) its 5-stud...

J

if its anything other than a vr6 like everyone else has mentioned then it will only be 4-stud

so you can get any steel/alloy wheel suitable for a mk2 golf,scirocco and most non gti/vr6 mk3 golf.....as its really only a temporary measure you'd maybe as well buying steel wheels as even these new i think aren't too dear

Thanks for the replies,

Yes they were aftermarket but couldn't tell you the manufacturer though. I thought they had locking nuts on but it didnt seem to stop them.

When I get home tonight i'll check out the spec fully - I realise its hard to suggest anything until you know that!

I found a breakers today who would let me have a mixed set of golf alloys and tyres cheap, so that might be a good idea.

PS they broke the passenger window too so any ideas about where to get a cheap replacement?

Thanks for the advice, I never realised this forum existed till today. When I get it up and running I'll come back and get some ideas on tuning. I used to race Beetles some time ago but these days its just a "A to B" type of thing with the Corrado (hence I havnt paid it too much attention)

Anyway I promise to pay more attention to my corrado in future :oops:

Sad news J (I'll call you 'J' cuz its easier than your sig!!)

I have 'temporary' measure golf GTI wheels on and it goes OK. (though 14" only fits the 16V - the G60 needs 15" to clear the bigger brakes)

As for window, either get insurance in on it (£50 quid for the whole deal and doesn't affect NCB either - but usually only if fully comp - check your policy), or pay for it. Though don't get ripped off by the big companies. Autoglass quote me £250 for the glass (2day delivery) and £350 for fitting!!!

VW do the original glass for £95 plus VAT. But if you look around the smaller windscreen companies you should get it down as low as £75 plus VAT. (I did and it was delivered within 3 hours). Then take the door card off yourself (very easy) and take to a bodyshop who'll fit it quite cheaply (mine got autoglass in to glue it!!!)

Should get it all done for around £100.

Good luck.

I'm thinking of instaling a swinging swordblade under the car, thats set off by proximity and cuts the gits feet off!!!

Thanks Paul,

I'l keep those suggestions in mind. If you get the swordblade system up and running let me know.

Ok, now Ive checked the spec - Its a 16v 1.8 on a H plate. The discs are 4 stud.

So am I right that the wheels on a mk2/3 (non GTI) Golf are the ones that'll fit...?

Cheers!

J (for John - sorry didnt mean to sound mysterious)

You can order Passat steel wheels from your local dealer. They are 4-stud fitment and are £39 + VAT each. Part number is 357601025M. Sorry if it's too late.

Ok, now Ive checked the spec - Its a 16v 1.8 on a H plate. The discs are 4 stud.

So am I right that the wheels on a mk2/3 (non GTI) Golf are the ones that'll fit...?

Cheers!

J (for John - sorry didnt mean to sound mysterious)

any 14 inch mk2 golf wheel should fit or any non gti/vr6 mk3 golf wheel should fit too..best to make sure its not under 14inch tho

Just as an end to this thread,

I now have 14inch mk2 golf steels on as suggested as a temp measure...

It looks a lot happier than when it was on the floor.

Thanks to all the people who suggested things.

Regards

John

Locking wheel nuts are a waste of time to stop pro's unless you have all 4 bolts locked up!!