UKLonar

Handbrake warning light

Since I've had this car, I've noticed no light whatsoever on the dash for the handbrake. 

I need to check the switch under the handbrake itself, but I carried out a test today to see if it would trigger on disconnecting brake fluid sensor.. it didn't turn on so I suspect something else is at fault.

Is it supposed to illuminate on ignition on with the other warning lights? If so, it doesn't do that either.

I've tried a second set of clocks, with working LED and that made no difference.

Any ideas?

Edited by UKLonar

I'm not sure that disconnecting the connector from the brake fluid reservoir cap is the same test.

With the float inside the reservoir pushing up against the cap, the "switch" in the cap is open circuit. Take the cap off completely and the float drops down the cap switch is closed.
If you have a multi-meter, check the cap does switch.
There is a button on the top of the cap to test it - but you need long arms or two people...

On the base of the handbrake, there is a switch which has either fallen off (simply clips on) or broken. Again use a multi-meter to check the switch.

46 minutes ago, Philly-R6 said:

I'm not sure that disconnecting the connector from the brake fluid reservoir cap is the same test.

With the float inside the reservoir pushing up against the cap, the "switch" in the cap is open circuit. Take the cap off completely and the float drops down the cap switch is closed.
If you have a multi-meter, check the cap does switch.
There is a button on the top of the cap to test it - but you need long arms or two people...

On the base of the handbrake, there is a switch which has either fallen off (simply clips on) or broken. Again use a multi-meter to check the switch.

Is it not supposed to illuminate on ignition on with the rest of the warning lights then?

I'll test the reservoir using your method, it appears I have misremembered what to do from what I did in the past on my mk2.

I suspect the handbrake isn't wired up, it's a mk4 unit but I'll need to remove trim to check.

23 hours ago, UKLonar said:

Is it not supposed to illuminate on ignition on with the rest of the warning lights then?

I'll test the reservoir using your method, it appears I have misremembered what to do from what I did in the past on my mk2.

I suspect the handbrake isn't wired up, it's a mk4 unit but I'll need to remove trim to check.

No, there is no self test feature for the brake system (the ABS does a self test). The brake system lamp on the dash is probably illuminated because the handbrake is applied.

With the handbrake off (and brake fluid in the reservoir), the brake warning lamp in the dash is 'off' as you turn the key. The water and oil temperature lamps flash and the alternator light is 'on' until the engine is started.

You could also place a paper clip (or a bit of wire) across the pins of the reservoir connector and check the lamp illuminates. Same with the handbrake connector...

That's good to know, I figured as much after thinking about it a bit.

I went out to test after work using the button on reservoir and my phone to record clocks, the light does illuminate as intended.

As such, I've a problem with my handbrake switch/wiring. I'll get the tunnel trim off and investigate.

Thank you for your pointers, really helpful.

Edited by UKLonar

Yes the mk4 handbrake switch doesn't quite line up properly (i have done the same swop) but i would then expect the light to be on all the time, unless its been disconnected

Yes the mk4 handbrake switch doesn't quite line up properly (i have done the same swop) but i would then expect the light to be on all the time, unless its been disconnected

Yeah agree with that. When the handbrake switch on mine came adrift, the light was permanently on, rather than off. Does tend to suggest it has been disconnected, possibly due it being broken off, and being a quick fix to the light being on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro