Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

schrick question.

Im sure it has been answered but im a bit busy and i know there are people on here who can give me a quick answer..

basically i have been offered the vgi from a mate in the USA. only thing is he has it on his passat vr6. I have asked him to check the throtle body type but im guessing it wont be the right one...???

anythin else thet would be different or is that the only thing i need to check??

also...am i right in thinking i can fit this by itself?? i dont have to do the chip at the moment..aslong as i reset the ecu it should run fine.

ta muchly

Depends on the age of the passat, I'm not sure but there could have been OBD1 passat VR6s.

Most people have found that Schrick with standard chip means no problems - except when it gets *really* hot and humid. Like right now, in fact!

Just a little bit of pinking, but you can easily avoid it. In cooler weather I've never experienced any issues.

Totally standard engine otherwise. Yeah, I went for a VT front engine mount in the end... Don't forget your bonnet mod aswell.. The Schrick is a big beastie.

The VT mount *does* produce ever-so-slightly more vibration in the car (don't let Kev convince you otherwise), but it's pretty hard to tell and it's not a problem in any way. The car still feels achingly smooth and refined compared to ANY 4-pot on the road. :)

I think you probably would, but other people around here would probably beg to differ... ;)

It's a question of degree of control - if it hits the bonnet you will need to uprate the mount. If it doesn't, you don't.

well looks like i wont be able to afford it then....but i'll check which OBD connection he has and then maybe advertise it on here anyway for someone else.

cheers

I don't mind it not being a engine mount debate, but I'd like to see some admission on both sides that the case is not proven...

I have admitted that - I mean I've even gone ahead and uprated the mount.. :)

Did I *have* to? No idea, I'll never find out now, either.

I should add that Vince at Stealth thought it was a "good idea" to uprate the mount. Recommended it, in fact.

well i was gonna get it for about £500 but if i have to get a mount aswell that pushes the price up to £700 which i simply dont have at present....oh well... hopefully i'll make a profit on it anyway if i sell it on in the UK.

My impression on the mounts was as follows...

You can put a Shrick on an engine with standard mounts, but you need to hack a bigger lump out of your bonnet in order for it to fit.

If you do put an uprated mount on, then the Shrick fits better (you still need to hack the bonnet a bit) and you'll have less chance of the mount snapping and seriously modding your bonnet.

Spot on Dinkus.

The VT mounts actually lower the engine slightly.

Matt is just seeking closure on a very boring and pointless argument.

He only has to see Tom's (VR6) bonnet to seek all the evidence he needs, but then if he actually fitted these things, he'd gain a fuller understanding of what's going on.

I don't remember having an argument, it was a contradiction.

Perhaps I wanted to be in room 6, down the corridor?

He only has to see Tom's (VR6) bonnet to seek all the evidence he needs, but then if he actually fitted these things, he'd gain a fuller understanding of what's going on.

Now now ladies, handbags away.

But I agree with ya Jedi - I didn't wanna have a hole in my bonnet either, so I had the VT fitted, though I *was* considering having a NEW original mount fitted instead. Tom's bonnet was modified by a standard engine, which obviously implies a weak, old engine mount.

But let's not rake over those coals again, shall we? Kev appears to be in a mood.. ;)

LOL.... well it is monday!

Tom's car is the best Corrado I have ever driven. All factory tight still and his 45K old mount felt solid enough to me. It's just that he drives VERY hard sometimes (hard not to in his surroundings) and in the lower gears the standard mount just cannot restrain the engine enough. The engine sits a good 5mm lower with the VT, and that's where most of the reduced cloutage comes from.

Apologies for being grumpy..... :wink: My Amazon order hasn't turned up and it's P'd me off!

Prevention is better than cure, so that's the right attitude to have. Shame it's too pricey for you

true...im not in the habbit of doing things in halves so if i did do this i would want it done properly....am i right in thinking its about £200 inc fitting for the mount.

actually im not sure if i'll be keeping the corrado for much longer anyway but it seemed to cheap to just ignore the offer..

true...im not in the habbit of doing things in halves so if i did do this i would want it done properly....am i right in thinking its about £200 inc fitting for the mount.

actually im not sure if i'll be keeping the corrado for much longer anyway but it seemed to cheap to just ignore the offer..

"Not keeping the Corrado much longer"?! What is this blasphemy?! Don't you know a Corrado is for life, not just for MOT time?!

I must admit, the rust stuff you're having done surprised me - I always got the impression your car was pretty mint!!

Not keeping the Corrado much longer"?! What is this blasphemy?! Don't you know a Corrado is for life, not just for MOT time?!

the thought has crossed my mind....its on 90k now and the engine is pretty noisey and it doesnt feel as quick as when i first got it and im generally not as enthused by it as i was at first...i think i'll tidy it up and sell it while the value is pretty high. Need to get the chains done first though as im sure no one would buy it at the moment.

must admit, the rust stuff you're having done surprised me - I always got the impression your car was pretty mint!!

far from mint. i'd say slightly above average.. once the risty bits and scuffs are done and the exhaust is changed it will look nice from the outside (apart from the wheels are in need of a refurb)....the interior is ok but the front seats are looking a bit tired....the engine...well as i said above, it still goes well but im sure the chains are due for a change as its pretty damn noisey now.

plus im probably moving out to california for a few months and it seems pointless leaving it here unused and costing me on the insurance....i can always buy another one later in life

Ah, moving abroad, yeah, good point. It'd be nice to be able to keep it, but you really need a secure lock-up for that sort of thing. Seems a bit extreme to get rid for the sake of a few months away though..

I went through exactly the same feelings of melancholy mate. And at 90K too funnily enough, and I'd already spent a small fortune on it by that point.

I just drove it, never cleaned it or anything and looked for excuses not to drive it.

Then I found a certain Dr by the name of Schrick and the right honourable Vincent Saiya. Between them they transformed my engine from the noisy, clattery, juddery heap that it was into the creamy smooth, grunty thing it is now.

I also found Swissol, anti-roll bars etc and Dynamat (by the tonne) and my enthusiasm has been restored. The car is spookily quiet (for a 90s VW) and very nearly rattle free.

What I'm trying to say is, you've reached the junction of decision. If you've lost all interest in it, turn left and flog it ASAP. Or you can take the right turn and invest some more money and restore you faith in it.

K

P.S My amazon stuff has just arrived, so I'm happy again :lol:

who knows....maybe i'll fall in love with it again after the body work and exhaust are done and maybe the guy at JMR (who is going to look at my engine to tell me what work needs doing) will tell me its not as bad as i thought....but if it is chains then that another £700 into the car and that would really piss me off....you know what its like....when it seems that your just spending money on a car!! might go back and look for a nice low mileage crx anyway. who knows.