Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

warp speed 6 captain sulu!

My G60 judders when braking from high speed (can feel it thriugh steering wheel) but is more noticable when slowing to a complete stop when I can feel the car, well, chugging to a halt! Do I (as many people have told me) have a warped disc and if so, where? Don't want to buy new discs and pads for the front only to find it's the back that is knackered. What is best, cross-drilled, grooved or combi? Was thinking balck diamond combi with predator pads at front.

Ok,

First guess would have been warped disc. you should really be able to feel whether it is more the front or the back though. Either front or back discs/pads need replacing anyway??

If you're going for a new brake setup, go for the cupra brembo 4-pot setup! ;)

If not, the pagid fast road pads are well-liked around these parts - forget which discs they work really well with - possible zimmerman cross-drilled?y

Sounds great but how much cash we talking here? I'm a poor student :thumb right: No really though, what sort of money would be involved, is it easy to do and most importantly, would Mr Insurance company be happy?

Have you checked the vibration dampener on the driveshaft? Cant remember what one its on but its a donut shaped thing that should be stuck in place, if its loose it can cause juddering under braking.

If someone has been cheap with upkeep you may be experiencing runout. It happens when a rotor is at or below minimum spec and to stop the problem someone slaps new pads on it then the new pads wear and the caliper gets wobbly as you approachneeding new pads again. This could take 10,000 miles or so to find

The vibration damper is on the longer of the two driveshafts but not all Corrados have them. They usually work loose and some people cut them off.

The pagid fast road pads work best with stock VAG discs and Pagid's own black grooved discs. It's a good combination offering excellent modulation and feel. Takes a lot to make them fade too.

The Brembo conversion is a good value at £450 inc discs but you need bigger wheels and you also need to check your design of wheel won't foul the calipers as they're big old fellas.

Always sand down the hub surface before fitting new discs to prevent premature warping.

Kev

94 VR6

I used to have Zimmerman drilled discs and Pagid pads but they warped after mainly town driving and 15,000 miles a little town driving after 13 months use - although I do have to slow down for 120 speed bumps each day when commuting.

They were replaced with Lockheed drilled discs and their recommended pads (no idea which) 4 weeks ago; cost approx £120 all in (which seemed very cheap, think I may have been charged wrong).

Managed 1600 miles driving round Scotland and they were great. Only problem now is that they sound terrible when cold and breaking from a slow speed - squeak and grind - and they didn’t do this for the first 2 weeks of use. It's going back to the garage next week to get looked at.

I'd back up Kev and say stick with the VAG standard discs if you're on a tight budget.

Well, definetly a warped disc... the front left one. Got it checked today and will order up new discs and pads asap. Thinking of going for Black Diamond combination discs and predator pads. About £190 from venommotorsport. Any thoughts on this set-up? Cheers for all your comments.

Sounds expensive, Star performance quoted me £162 for Pagid grooved disks and fast road pads for a vr6 and that was fitted. I would imagine for a g60 it would be the same or cheaper and ive only heard good things about this combination.

Where abouts in Glasgow are u Grim, theres a black g60 I sometimes see parked near Machargs on Castlebank street, is this yours?

I'm in sunny Cambuslang and that's not me ur seeing. Good to see that there is more than 1 G60 locally! Mines de-badged at the rear with a Reiger 3 slat grille and stock steel wheels (for now). Needing a respray cause some lil turd keyed it and last owner neglected the paintwork (mostly lime attack). Should meet up sometime. Where are you? Do you recommend grooved then? C ya later, Grim

I'm in Clydebank, over in Cambuslang occasionaly though as I have a friend that lives in Wesburn.

Ive never had uprated brakes before, the vr6 will be my first car with them but the pagids sound good.

Are you planning on going to Biggar for the vw festival, see here.

I'll try to make it but I've got exams. Possibly go on the sunday. I'll keep you posted. Think there'll be many C's there? Do you know how much is it to get in do you know?