Sign in to follow this  
Heardy

Who's got a VR6 with Air con?

As above really .

I'm picking my new VR6 C up at the weekend,just got a few questions really

Who is the aircon system made by i was told it's possibly italian ?

On mine the control's for the aircon are where the ABS light usually goes and the ABS light's been relocated to just in front of the gearstick looks a bit strange, where abouts has everone else got their abs light.

Any other info would be appreciated :)

Cheers Jason

Thanks vr6 storm..It looks like it might need a new condensor so i'm just trying to get a bit of info on it...

my air con buttons are in the same place as dinkus. above them are the heated seat dials, then the rear heated window then the fogs.... my abs light is above my headlight switch on the other side of the wheel

My buttons are the same as yours dinkus but where yours are mine has the controls for the heated seats :)

my air con buttons are in the same place as dinkus. above them are the heated seat dials, then the rear heated window then the fogs.... my abs light is above my headlight switch on the other side of the wheel

you would have thought if they (Davia) had any ergonomic idea that they would have had the ABS light where it is normally and shifted the fog light switches to the blank next to the head light switch

On mine the control's for the aircon are where the ABS light usually goes and the ABS light's been relocated to just in front of the gearstick looks a bit strange, where abouts has everone else got their abs light.

Diavia. I stopped them from fitting the standard Diavia switch and got them to use the switch that goes under the fan/heater controls, in a space just above the cigar lighter. That way nobody moved my original switches. It took some work but they eventually fitted it in and it looks fine. Part numbers are: 535 959 543 (correct aircon switch), 535 863 284B (replacement cover for the cigar lighter holder that enables the switch to be fitted. You may have to move your heater controls to the left hand drive version but frankly they are more reliable and fit better than the original RHD set, and the cover panel comes with the words "air condiitioned".

The issue about where to put your controls does bear some thinking. The factory policy was:

- headlamp switch and headlamp motor control unit by the drivers door, just under the edge vent;

- on the other side- from top to bottom: ABS lamp; fog lamps switches; heated window/mirror switch; heated seats control.

Now if all of that space was loaded with switches, the place for the aircon control switch is just above the cigar lighter (yep, pull its cover out and you'll see a hole- another switch fits in there!). The Diavia one is sort of OK - thats the one in the photo in this thread, but it breaks down after 2 years, ish... is a pain to replace, and only fits in the main switch holes.

Make sure that the install the bridging lead to the engine brain so that the engine doesnt struggle everytime the aircon relay kicks in. Normally it doesnt, but when the lights are on, the wipers on, fogs, radio, and aircon the engine gets irritated that one might be having too easy a life.....

The buttons for mine are to the right of the steering wheel, below the light switch, because the position shown in the photo (above) is occupied by the seat heater controls. The ABS light is as per the photo.

Incidentally, the HRW switch doesn't light up any more; is there a bulb in there or do I have to buy a new switch?

Best wishes

RB

Diavia. I stopped them from fitting the standard Diavia switch and got them to use the switch that goes under the fan/heater controls, in a space just above the cigar lighter. That way nobody moved my original switches. It took some work but they eventually fitted it in and it looks fine. Part numbers are: 535 959 543 (correct aircon switch), 535 863 284B (replacement cover for the cigar lighter holder that enables the switch to be fitted. You may have to move your heater controls to the left hand drive version but frankly they are more reliable and fit better than the original RHD set, and the cover panel comes with the words "air condiitioned".

Make sure that the install the bridging lead to the engine brain so that the engine doesnt struggle everytime the aircon relay kicks in. Normally it doesnt, but when the lights are on, the wipers on, fogs, radio, and aircon the engine gets irritated that one might be having too easy a life.....

I know where there's a mk3 with aircon and it has the control panel with the buttons just under the fan control's would it be worth getting hold of it?

I know where there's a mk3 with aircon and it has the control panel with the buttons just under the fan control's would it be worth getting hold of it?

In theory according to the EKTA CD there is such a beast for the 'C', just like the one on the MK3. I've asked around tho and nobody owns up to having done it. If you do try it, you must also obtain the wiring loom from that MK3 - it should just link up to the Diavia spur - because Diavia's switch uses exactly the same spacing and sequence, even their plug fits correctly into the original VW switch. Unfortunately I had to make my plug up with lucar minatures all wired up, and then bonded them together - so that I could still unplug the switch, but prevent the odds of the wires getting confused if I took apart the dash.

Each Diavia kit comes with a wiring diagram. Make sure they give it to you. It makes a helluva difference.