Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

cameras on tripods

on the way to work this morn, went passed a layby at about 80 and there were two cameras set up in it on tripods looking at the dual carridgeway on an angle towards the oncoming traffic, i have a snooper 715is and it didnt go off,,, recon they coulda been mini gatso`s? hope it will be ok as i was only doing 80ish,, but surprised the snooper did not go off,, any of you seen this kinda set up?

There are other types of cameras in use these days, they may have been number plate recognition cameras, not interested in speed.

Reading have been using these a lot recently to catch untaxed/uninsured cars.

catch untaxed/uninsured cars

finally going after the scum who deserve the fines! makes a nice change! I've seen the sort of setup olly described on the local news, along with a unmarked van full of computer equipment which checked every car that drove past and alerted a nearby patrol car which stopped the offender. IIRC they found a car that'd been used in an armed robbery by pure chance and arrested the driver!

ah yeah, wouldnt of thought they would be for speed as they were not aligned straight with the cars and it was near a junction so people would normally be slowing down, they were with an unmarked car and the layby was all coned off with orange cones,, interesting,,,

Yeah I've seen cameras like that used for insurance/tax catching. It was set up next to a big DVLA van at the time, which kinda gave it away :)

Only trouble is, as usual, the scallies don't register the cars they nick/buy etc. They just leave it registered at the original owner's address, so the cops really HAVE to pull the guy over to get anywhere with this process.

didnt see any patrol cars nearby, they were there a couple monts ago then but didnt witness them myself, one of me mates saw them, hopefully they are for uninsured taxed drivers etc, we pay our way and so should others!