Sign in to follow this  
Lemon

Lumpy to start up

Hi I have a 1989 1.8 16v which on the whole runs just fine.

But very occasionally when starting up it runs on 2/3 cylinders for a minute, rev it hard and after 20 secs it runs fine. Does not do it very often, but would like to fix the problem. I have fitted a brand new distribitor and cap, new magnecor leads. Could it be the Ignition coil?? Thanks for any help.

Hi Lemon,

My '91 16v has a similar quirk. And I've also replaced leads, rotor arm and dizzy cap to no avail.

Apparently this fault is caused by the Idle Stablisation Valve (ISV) becoming clogged. Easily fixed by cleaning it out with carb cleaner or soaking it in petrol overnight.

If you look in the "Problems" section, there's a post titled "HELP! Corrado Doesn't Want to Idle!"

There's more info there, along with a picture of the 16v engine with the offending ISV highlighted.

Good Luck :)

Lemon,

Turned out I had a dodgy throttle position switch.

If you look at the top of your engine around the throttle assembly, you'll see a little microswitch that should click as you open and close the throttle.

This little fella adjusts the fuel/air mixture on cold start.

They're about £10 for a new one (not a Corrado specific part, a Golf 16v one will do).

Once I had mine replaced, I found the lumpy startup problem was eliminated. The car should tick over at about 1,400 revs on cold startup for a few minutes then return to normal. Something which my car NEVER did before.