Sign in to follow this  
Bean

overheating

Hi what temp should the fans kick in the a vr6? Sorry I have had a quick search but i am at work and couldn't find much.

Cheers

Dan

88 ish and 98 ish, for the two speeds, iirc. Henny knows the cooling system better than most, he can probably quote the exact figures off the top of his head... :)

The fan switch trigger temps are 95/84 and 102/91 according to Etka... that's on/off temps in degrees C. 8)

Mine was cutting it at 110 dec C yeasterday!!! :shock:

So do i just need to replace the switch? (Where is the switch located)

Cheers for all you help during the working day! :lol:

Dan

don't forget that the dash gauge is pants.... It really shouldn't have numbers on it as they are a mile out... :roll:

IMHO the gauge should read: Cold, Normal, Hot, STOP NOW!!!! :lol:

The switch is in the bottom back of the radiator next to the battery, it's a bit 22mm (I think) brass nut looking thing with a 3 pin electrical connector on it....

Have a look HERE for a pic and the part numbers... 8)

Some people's gauges are rubbish, but some seem to work okay - mine for example I can see that the thermostat opens at a reading of 80 during warm-up, and the engine rarely climbs above a reading of 100, which is how it *should* be..

Perhaps the gauge should be calibrated to a given temp sensor, and most aren't when retro fitted? Who knows..! :)

Yep, same prob as me then - I'm fairly sure my gauge is good as they are calibrated to sit about halfway 90 degrees normally and my stat opens at about 80-85 on the gauge but I am also only getting the fan kicking in at 110!

Hopefully picking up the part tomorrow...