Sign in to follow this  
yalan

ISV Testing

Right - I've got some problems with a bouncy chasing idle for a while now & have already tried the carb cleaner route soaking overnight.

Car runs smoothly when warm though.

So unsure if it is an ISV problem or something else. Have tried 3 other ISVs at my local breaker but they disn't make the blindest bit of difference - nor did any of them 'buzz'.

Another local Forum member has offered to let me try his - but apparently his doesn't 'buzz' either.

Which leads me to the question - does anyone know any other methods of testing an ISV or the remainder of it's electrical circuit???? Should I be looking for particular input voltages etc???

Any help much appreciated!

Indeed - so does anyone know how complex the rest of the circuit is? or perhaps what to look for?

Have already identified the wires to the throttle switches had freyed loose - but fixing this has just stopped it idling @ 3000 rpm.

Bounce at cold has remained.

(Oh and to quote kev from a previous thread - 'To test the ISV, crimp the long hose that feeds from the valve into the inlet hose with your fingers. You should feel it vibrate and the harder you squeeze, the engine should cut out. If both happen, the valve is OK. ')

Temp sensors? anything related to poor running "only when cold" or "only when hot" could be worth trying the temp sensors..

by bouncy chasing do you mean hunting like +/- 1000rpm rise and fall in revs? If so would suggest your ISV is stabilizing fine, and it's actually mixture or other metering/sensor out. Have got method for testing this circuit at home, so if no one else more familiar answers in meantime i'll get it posted tomorrow. have you tested voltage accross cold start valve and other sensors on side of head?

I am having a similar problem and noticed that input voltage is about 1.5v, I think it is meant to be 12v... an expert on here will be able to confirm this though. I am guessing from the cirsuit diagram I have which indicates a 12v voltage comes from the ignistion switch....

Aide - yeah it is bouncing a bit - probably between 300-1500rpm during a cold start.

Warm seems OK though with just the odd moment where idle will stick at 1500rpm - a tap to the ISV normally brings it down a bit though (hence thinking it was ISV related).

If you've got any specs of what the various sensors / components should be putting out that'd be a great start & would be appreciated.

Will also tryt cleaning the ISV one more time - just to be sure.

If the engine is hunting when cold, it sounds more fuel related than ISV but I don't know enough about the 2.0 16V to advise as I've only ever worked on 1800 valvers.

Had a look last night but couldn’t find specific stuff looking for. But in terms of checks ISV must be vibrating, not necessarily buzzing. When idling pull of pin connector and check for resistance across pins - cold 1000ohms warm 75ohms.

Have KR myself not a 9A, does the 9A have a Lambda?