Sign in to follow this  
potatonet

Is my fuel pump broken?

I have a 90 and its been having a load of problems recently, I finally fixed the overheating issue, it was my radiator. my new problem is that my car has trouble starting, the car doesnt want to turn over and will slowly stumble to a halt if I let go of the key, the car runs fine while its driving I dont know why it doesnt like to start though. anyone got anything, fuel pump fuel filter? something?

ignition switch perhaps :wink: ...........pretty sure if it was a fuel pump issue this would also show whilst driving :wink:

could it be my starter? This is exactly what happens, the car attempts to turn over, gets some gas in there, doesnt want to turn over fully, I have to get more gas into the engine to get it to start, only happens when its cold. when I let go of the key and try to start it again I get this click,click,click,click,click rapidly, and then I let the key go, then it will attempt to start again. its getting to the point where even if it is warm it will do it but not as much trouble starting it just stumbles up to idle.

Anybody got anything that they are positive on because I spent 1000 dollars in parts for my cooling system as I was stabbing at possible things it could be.

Anybody got anything that they are positive on because I spent 1000 dollars in parts for my cooling system as I was stabbing at possible things it could be.

well given that we can't physically diagnose what the problem is and are just going by what you have told us......i'm afraid our ideas are the only thing to help you..........of course i'm sure you could take the car to a garage/mechanic and get them to diagnose it

I'd check the battery, if not this I would look if all earth straps have a good connection. Could have high resistance, most likely engine to chassis strap.

hmmm, grounding straps, sounds like fun, I will test the battery, and then the gorunding lines, perhaps I have a crappy connection to the engine I did just do the headgasket so that could be it. sorry for pissing you off vr6storm. the car does have noticable dead spots while driving, its like one second I will have loads of HP and then I will have none, I thought it was the charger but the charger is putting out the PSI so I am still suspicious about the fuel pump, when it idles and then I go again, like at a stop light, the car sometimes has to get a lot of gas to go because the car isnt putting enough HP out for the clutch to pull the car anywhere, and then sometimes it doesnt do that, imagine 210 HP for 15 seconds, then 130 for about 2 seconds (enough time for me to let the gas out then hit it again). thats what it feels like when its driving, or sometimes I just dont even get HP at all its like 170 for the whole day, my MFA boost readout is up at 220-230 and I am not getting the HP I normally get, its about 10-13 PSI. it feels like the car doesnt start on all cylinders, like maybe 2 or 3, then when I give it gas it will fire the others and even out the engine, Pretty sure the injectors are ok. is this any help?