Sign in to follow this  
Gman

cambelt 1800 16v

What would happen if the belt breaks. Does anyone know if the pistons miss the valves at all? IF they do hit the valves does it usaly write off the head???

thanks

G

What would happen if the belt breaks. Does anyone know if the pistons miss the valves at all? IF they do hit the valves does it usaly write off the head???

thanks

G

It is an interference engine, however, a mate of mine had a belt go on his Golf. He just stuck a new one on it and it had survived completely.

It would do the head if one of the valves bust off. If you need some valves, I just bought a set off ebay and I only need 2 for a head that I have.

Gavin

myn almost snapped at a VW meet, lucky I made it back to mates house in time..

had a camblet & tensionre fitted, all running fine..

very lucky!! :roll:

you must be mad if your willing to run the risk.

from what ive heard, if the belt goes on the 1800 16v (i have 1) then the entire head is going to go as well.

only costs about £100 so go do it !! :-P

The cambelt tensioner on my 16v seized about 6 weeks after I bought it and melted the belt.

ALthough it happened at low revs and I got the clutch in v. quick, the engine needed a complete rebuild of the top-end. New valves, guides, seals, gaskets, head-skim, head-bolts and 12 hours labour came to the thick end of £1k.

Unless you're looking for an excuse to rebuild/modify the engine, it isn't worth the risk.

Yeh thats another thing, dont just buy a new belt, buy a kit

this includes a new tensioner

if you fit a new belt and leave the old tensioner on, that could go and take the belt and head with it ! :shock:

I think the tensioners are a weak point on the Corrado. My 16V would sometimes lose power, and on tick-over drop revs. I did hear a sound like the power steering pump occasionally, but thought nothing of it! Until it done it while waiting in traffic, and I saw some smoke coming out from the bonnet. I pulled over and switched off the engine..carefully opened the bonnet and couldn't see anything?? I started the car up again, and smoke started billowing from the cambelt. The tensioner had locked up, and the belt was being fried as it was forced around the tensioner pulley!

I pulled the dipstick out and used the small amount of oil from that to lubricate the bearing! Done that several times, I tried starting it again, and the tensioner freed off! I drove the rest of the way home slowly, but the tensioner never siezed. The next day bought another belt and tensioner!!

Guess I was lucky then!! Didn't do the head and pistons in!!!

if you pay over £20 for the pair, you've been done...

I think the 16V ones are quite expensive and the tensioner is different...

My G60 cambelt was less than a fiver but I think the 16V ones are more like £25??? :?

mine's running Eurocarparts supplied belt and tensioner... I change the tensioner every time I do a belt anyway, so it's not like it's gotta be able to last 100,000 miles or anything silly! ;) :lol:

OK, I was slightly out on the prices for a 16V...

Belt = £11.75

Tensioner = £17.95

(both from Euro)