Sign in to follow this  
gavinda

Oil warning light and buzzer

My Oil warning light and buzzer has intermittently started flashing and buzzing, yet when i check the oil it is fine, apart from it being very irritating i am also worried. Do you guys think that it could be a faulty sender or have i got bigger problems?

If you're getting paranoid you could always bung an oil pressure gauge in the car - electric ones are only around £30. Ever since the pump on my Mk.2 failed mid-race with a Saab and destroyed the engine I've not had a car without an oil pressure gauge!

I would change the sender(s) initially, not expensive, and check the visible wiring / connector is still in good condition while your there.

i'm having exactly the same problem.

how easy is it to fit an oil pressure gauge, i've got a gauge but what else do i need.

also what should the oil pressure be once the gauge is fitted?

cheers in advance.

bcstudent, Also makes a good point, I too have an oil pressure gauge, pretty easy to fit. A search for 'VDO gauges oil pressure' should clarify it. Once the oil is fully warmed up mine normally hovers at about 1 Bar (at idle).

I had this, I replaced the cam cover gasket about 2 weeks ago & the problem is 100 times better. it's came on once since. It was loosing oil pressure.

had a similar problem with mine after having the oil pump replaced... when the revs went over 3K the light and buzzer would come on and stay on untill the revs dropped again... after checking everything (twice) it was decided that it had to be dodgy wiring somewhere. A complete pain in the ****. For the time being I've earthed the wire that goes to the dash to keep it from coming on - only a temporary fix and one that will be sorted once I fit an oil pressure gauge. Does anyone know where / how I can get a plate that'll fit in the cubby hole in the bottom of the dash?