Sign in to follow this  
GazzaG60

Funny knocking noise when slowing and lifting off clutch.

since inters i think one of the bushes is shafted. think its the front arm bush.

i can feel a knock under my feet which is about that area. n when i slow to stop n depress clutch in can feel it through the pedals.

What do peeps think. ever had this anyone.

my mate has rebuilt subaru gearboxes when the user has reported an almost identical problem. in their case being a bearing in the box. hope it aint that

Sounds like the clutch release bearing is worn to me!! When the car is at Idle is there a chatter from the box if there is put your foot on the ckutch if it disapears then it's the clutch release bearing!!

I was about to post something about this.

Sometimes when the clutch is near the floor you get a sort of clunk through the pedal. Worn clutch?

i know im gonna end up splitting the box to put a clutch in at some. time. just seem sslightly different to a bush. thrust bearing is knackered has been for a bit. get a broken whistle type nois until i toucvh on pedal and take up slack n it goes away.

gonna get it on the ramp later or at weekend if another car aint on n have a look

Does the clutch slip at high revs if you dump the clutch? I still think the problem lies with the release bearing they often wear causing the gearbox to chatter when the clutch isnt engaged

yeah i agree the clutch bearing is goosed. clutch seems ok doesn't slip. also picked up a sheild type rattling noise from somewhere. lasts for around 300 revs then goes. pain in the aris sometimes these cars.

about a month ago i replaced the front mount with a volks-speed one. proper uprated-i like it. before then there was lots of movement. i think i have two things wrong doing this.

1 bushes

2. clutch bearing.

even not in gear i get the feel but i think the clutch feel is another noise/knock mixed in. tis more direct than the bush type noise.

think the stiff mount puts all the work back where tis supposed to be-in the bushes n suspension. I run coilovers so stresses are even more on the bushes.

was gonna pick some up too at inters.

I have a look-make sure its safe, then ill replace the bushes n may even be brave n do a clutch. this box looks harder to get out than the scirocco.