Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

G60 Spitting flames!!

On the way back from football tonight, being follwed by my mate, I gave the car the old right foot treatment; as you do! 8) When my phone goes, it’s my mate behind me telling me between gear changes there is a small blue flame coming out my exhaust!! :shock:

What could this be? :? The car had a full 20k service back in march at Jabba inc a tune up. I also did the leads, disi cap & rotor arm at the time too. I can’t see why she should be spitting flames?? :(

I’m in at G-werks on Thursday, and don’t have to drive the car till then which is handy.

Any help appreciated!

Cheers

Dan

Usually a sign of over-fuelling...... unburnt fuel is being pumped down the exhaust during gearchanges and ignites in the hot exhaust tubing.

Are you running a standard cam?

Are you running a standard cam?

Yes mate

I had the cam cover off the other week to replace the gasket, & was surprised to see no wear on the cam at all! (just encase it helps)

Usually a sign of an exhaust leak, the additional air in the hot exhaust causes it to combust and hence the flames out the back.

Jay

That could be it! I'm sure I have a small leak where the down pipe meets the de-cat pipe!

Hope that's all it is!

If it is this, would at be anything to worry about?

An exhaust leak only becomes an issue if it's upstream of the lambda probe, so could be your problem. If the lambda sees too much air the ECU will over compensate the fuel trim.

The lambada probe is on the manifold isn't it?

If that's so, where could a possible leak me? Cracked manifold?

Or even dodgey lambada sensor??

Nah the lambda is just before the cat, or plumbed into your bypass in your case.

If the leak is before the probe then it will cause fuelling problems. The flexi joints in the front pipes could be leaking, or the manifold gaskets. You'd know if you had a cracked manifold! That and leaking gaskets sound like like a very loud tick that increases with revs.

I do have a tick! Under light acceleration or if I'm easing the throttle in going round a corner/round about etc. I always put it down to noisy ISV or injector?? It does increase with revs then disappears

Is this the kind of tick you mean?

Yeah the tick sounds like an injector tick, but louder.... 8V exhaust manifold gaskets usually go around cylinder number 1 (pulley end) so have a listen under the bonnet whilst revving the engine.

cheers Kev, will have a look tomorrow evening.

If it is that, is the manifold going to be a pig to get off do you think?

Also, what kind of power would you guess I'd be loosing if it was leaking?

Yeah it can be a pain as the inlet manifold is in the way!

My old 8v gti (MK2) had a leaking manifold gasket and it didn't feel down on power, just noisy! But it's not as advanced as the G60 engine so not as sensitive to fuelling.

It sounded like a new engine after replacing the gaskets tho!

When i am driving like a fool... :lol:

And i change the gears with a perfect timing (as fast as possible) and the pedal going down at the same time at full throttle...

The exaust makes a lovely POP while changing gears!

I LOVE IT!!! :D :D :D

It really makes you feel your blood running in your vains!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

G60 POWA!!! :twisted: