Sign in to follow this  
Corradoboy18

forced-induction?

I've heard many bad things about turbo-charging a VR6 engine. Why is this a bad idea compared to supercharging it.

I myself would rather have a TC. Gotta love that spooling sound. SSSSSHHHhhhh. My friend has a 1987 Turbo RX-7. It sounds awsome.

Another thing...

I don't know if the U.K. ever recieved the Rx-7 but the Second gen turbos are the closest, spec-wise, to the corrado than any other car i've seen. The HP is almost the same (178HP vs. 183ish) and the weight is the almost the same too, both in the realm of 2800-2900lbs.

Every time we race were neck and neck until third gear. then his car beats me by not even a car length.

What things have you heard as I haven't heard of any major probs with turboing a VR6? It's not a popular route in the UK due to the expense and only a handful of tuners will source and fit the parts for us.

Supercharing by comparison is a lot easier as you don't have to alter the internals, providing you don't exceed the charger's standard boost.

Is the RX-7 the rotary engined beast?

Kev

94 VR6

yeah kevin..rotary. rev it until your ears bleed!

thats what you're overlooking corradoboy18.. rx7s are rotary which produces a very unique sound! those 2nd gen rx7s were the last rotary engines until mazda brought it back in the new rx8. maintenance on those isnt cheap.. i hear they throw gaskets like nothin.

rx7s are rotary which produces a very unique sound!

Yeah, "Milk Float" springs to mind..... :p

I think I've seen one or two imported RX-7s over here. Rotary engines are a nightmare to produce and maintain, hence their rarity! They give a lot of power compared to reciprocating engines, but as G60 quite rightly pointed out, they give naff all torque.

I had to study the Wankel engine as part of a college project and it is a complex little beast. The seals (piston ring equivalent) are the difficult part to get right and they wear them out quickly. Only Mazda seem to have perfected it.

Their main advantage is their size and weight savings over piston engines. An 1800 double rotary has the same power output as a 2500cc piston engine, and that's BEFORE turbos!

Kev

Lanny...the 2nd gen Rx-7 was the not the last year. Mazda remodeled the Rx-7 in 1992 where it became the infamous 3rd generation (this is where the lightening comes in and i speak like a god). The 3rd generation was much more powerful than a 2nd gen. It was equipped with a 1.3L (or a 2.6L if you want to get technical) twin-turbo rotary that would easily keep up with a 2003 corvette. they ceased production (in the U.S.) in 1995.

Hasn't anyone seen "Fast and the Furious"? It's only the best the import car movie ever produced. Check it out at a local video store. You won't be disappointed.

Peace out,

Chris

..check and see what kind of torque those things put out. i think i may be mistaken but i seem to remember it being rediculously low. :?

You're right, i don't know the specs on the 3rd or 2nd gens when it comes to torque but i know the RX-8 (with it's updated RENESIS rotary) has a whopping 250Hp with only about 136ft-lb of torque. That's really pathetic, but it just proves that torque isn't everything.

One thing i've learned in the states, especially comparing Japanese cars with american car, is that beaucoup horsepower in a light car=one fast civic. but in american V8's it really doesn't matter what the horsepower is because if the torque isn't there the civic with half the amount of hp will beat the V8.

Put simply-A 250hp VTEC 4-banger is going to be faster than a 250 hp V8. easily.

Chris

yep, you're right... 3rd gen rx7 was the last rotary now that i think about it.

you said a lot of things there that i could really go off about..and im sure everyone knows about fast and the furious... its only the movie that ruined the scene for the rest of us who were already on the scene........ anyway...

all i'm gonna say is... horsepower means nothing man, and yes... torque IS everything... the dynamics of a rotary engine make it so that the horsepower/torque comparison to a regular piston engine is kind of like comparing apples to oranges.. you can't really just compare numbers and be all that accurate in deciding which car is faster.

torque is what its all about. sure a 250hp four banger would beat a 250hp v8... the weight savings on the 4cyl engine alone is enough to make the difference.. now take into consideration that the chassis of the car with the v8 is also probably 2000Ibs heavier and there you go... nothing to do with torque in that comparison... its all about power to weight ratio.

and look at that civic thing this way... if you have a fast civic, it MUST be because of horsepower... because hondas dont have any torque!!! lol ..torque has to do with the sheer ripping force while getting a dead weight moving from a dead stop (basically. thats a simple way to think about it). hondas dont weigh much... so the lack of torque doesn't hurt them nearly as much as it would in a double-the-weight musclecar.

i really hope this doesn't snowball or im gonna have to come back in here and be abrasive with ya. :lol:

You're right about everything, G60, but i'm not very good at explaining somethings sometimes either. Weight has a lot to do with how fast a car compared to the power.

The fast and furious did ruin street racing as we knew it three years ago. It's a love/hate relationship with that movie though. i love to watch it, but hate to see the affects of it (i.e. increased police patrols at night).

Why don't we all just take one minute to thank Volkswagen for making a light weight, powerful, front-wheel drive sports car. I do it everytime i get in my corrado.

Chris

P.S.I still hope they come out with a factory turbo-Vr6. I dream it every night. why don't we write our congressman!

i can't argue with that man.. fuh fuh fuuuuck the police.

and we wont write our congressman because we're not yanks eh, mate :lol:

Torque....mmmm, but power is equally important. In an ideal world you'd have 45 degree power plot that's dead smooth and torque and power being the same values across the range. Things never work out like that though :x

Think of the length of your arm being the torque and the strength of your bicep being the power. That's about the simplest analogy I can think of. Hondas have big biceps but small arms :lol:

So in other words your arm is providing the leverage (torque/twisting force) and the bicep is providing the work rate. SO....if you've got a long arm but small biceps, the torque band will be small for a short time. Or if you've got big biceps and short arms, you can keep going for longer but have a smaller twisting force.

The reason the Wankel has little torque is because the effective stroke is shorter than a piston engine's, but you get 3 power cycles per revolution, which is why it produces more power!

It's a curious relationship between torque and power!!

Kev

94 VR6

very well explained kev. the guy with the diesel rado with 400+ ft/Ibs of torque is my hero. :p

I can't believe no-one has sniggered at "Wankel" yet! :lol:

(sorry)

Thanks G60 :lol: It's taken me years to finally understand the relationship between power and torque!

Speaking of diesel torque, I had to laugh when I saw one of our motoring programs testing a VW Toureg (pronounced Twareg) by towing a combine harvester, some logs and even a Van backwards which was flat out in 1st gear!

Not many things are going to stand in the way of 555lb/ft torque!

Kev

94 VR6