Sign in to follow this  
rolfei

Race seat harness or seatbelts?

Good news,

my new seats are installed,

bad news,

I cant drive my car anymore cos the seat belt socket is built into the seats that I have now removed doh!

so I have nowhere to clip my seatbelt into now

Is it possible to buy separate seat belt socket and bolt them to the floor?

If not I guess I'm going to have to buy a harness. Anyone recommend a good harness? My seats only have one slot in the headrest so I might even be screwed for a harness.

http://www.islandmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IMO&Product_Code=NRGEVOBLK&Category_Code=IS

Good news,

my new seats are installed,

bad news,

I cant drive my car anymore cos the seat belt socket is built into the seats that I have now removed doh!

so I have nowhere to clip my seatbelt into now

Is it possible to buy separate seat belt socket and bolt them to the floor?

If not I guess I'm going to have to buy a harness. Anyone recommend a good harness? My seats only have one slot in the headrest so I might even be screwed for a harness.

http://www.islandmotorsports.com/cgi-bin/merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IMO&Product_Code=NRGEVOBLK&Category_Code=IS

I don't know if you can get just the sockets, but I would imagine so. Either way, your car won't pass it's MOT without a retractable locking seatbelt. Even if you have a harness too.

That seat is designed to take a harness - you'll need to attach it to the rear seat belt post. It still doesn't solve your socket problem though...

if you got your old seats it might be a case of swapping them back over for MOT time,

looks like harnessess are your option for driving, but they can be quite restrictive when trying to lean forward to look round junctions for example, i think you can get some that have retractable adapters??!!

check out demon tweeks for lots of motorsport options

yeah I dont reckon a harness is practical, neither is swapping seats back around as they wont go back on now that the seat brackets are in place.

Only option I think is going to be buying some sort of complete generic seatbelt replacement set and hoping the guys at the garage can work out somewhere to bolt it all onto.

Did't know about the MOT issue, makes me reckon that I wont feel safe with just a harness now.

Did't know about the MOT issue, makes me reckon that I wont feel safe with just a harness now.

It's balls, a proper race harness is far safer than a silly windy 3 point job, but there's something that says you have to have a retractable, locking seat belt to pass your MOT. Don't see many rally drivers with 3 point harnesses do you?

dunno how accurate this is but it may worth checking out some rallycross sites.

Please note they are all quotes so please check.

"In the MOT test regulations it states that harnesses are acceptable as long as they are BS approved. This also applies to the SVA test."

"Push button release are legal."

"All other releases (twist etc) are illegal" **not sure of this**

"MOT testers manual

section 5.1 seatbelts

vehicle -

1. Passenger vehicles and dual purpose vehicles with not more than 8 passenger seats, except 3 wheeled vehicles

requirement -

3 point belts for each seat (see notes 2 & 3 page 4)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note 2:

'3 point belt' means a seat belt which

i. restrains the upper and lower parts of the torso

ii. includes a lap belt

iii' is anchored at not less than three points, and

iv. is designed for use by an adult.

Note 3:

An adult harness belt comprising a lap belt and shoulder straps bearing a British standard marking is an acceptable alternative to any of the seat belt types listed.

"

dunno but unless the laws changed a whole load of my rallycross mates kept them in there cars for mot (dunno who still had belts tho and how many friends at the mot station).

I think the main things are

1: good proper mounting points

2: At least 3/4 points.

3:BS standard approved

4: can open with one hand (supposedly)

5. not frayed , and if secured to seats in any wya (harnesses arent normally) the seats must be secure but this is needed anyway.

have a search an see

I think I should be ok then with a 3 point harness, thanks for the MOT tips I'll make sure I get a branded quick release one.

I found this site as well http://www.securon.co.uk/seat_belts_firstframe.htm but I think it might be easier/cheaper just to go with a harness.

Does make sense that a harness is safer but it probably also depends on how tight you wear it. Will also have to make sure I get good anchor point put into the floor.

Now if I had a roll cage maybe it'd be an easier decision :roll:

A mate of mine had a harnes in his car ( silly boy racer style car) and I know he removed the std seatbelt and it passed its MOT. should be ok as long as it is safe :)

has to be british standard or ecc approved even some branded ones arent coz they can't be bothered to pay fo thre testing so wcheck it out carefully.

also please bear in mind that i may be wrong (although im pretty certain im not) so please make sure of these details before spending out hard earned dough.